Gastroenterology Community
Ulcerative Colitis and passing a tissue-like bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi, I've had left sided Ulcerative colitis for 8 years now and I've started seeing my specialist again (every 2 months) and I will be seeing a G.P regularly.I was only having mild, contollable symptoms for about 2 years (which was great!) My problem is I've recently had a bad flare up after about 9 months of it ever so slowly getting worse.With the recent flare-up for about 2 weeks I've had lots of blood when I go to the toilet ,this week it's slowly getting better with Prednisolone enemas, but I may need to go on steroids by mouth if it doesn't go into remission soon.

But today instead of passing faeces I passed a thing the size and shape of a normal bowel movement but it was whitish and looked like what I would imagine intestinal tissue looks like with a tiny bit of blood in it, I feel alright , no pain except for slightly bloated stomach which I often have anyway, but it is really worrying me. Also I was quite stressed and upset yesterday and last night my bloated stomach was very sore. I was upset because I get bad PMS, and i am naturally a stress head which I'm sure contributes to my flareups. Has anyone had this experience or knows what it could be, I'm really worried about it.Thanks Azzub.
Have you called your doc about it yet?  That's the first place to go, and what they are there for, right?  I think you probably just passed a lot of mucous.  It happens a lot with anyone who has colon problems - particularly with diarrhea.  It sounds like you're afraid you're actually "sh*tting your guts out" (if you'll forgive the turn of phrase) and really, you aren't!  :-)
I have ulcerative colitis and when i have a bowel movement .a thing comes out it looks like a square pice of something red with white stuff attached to it. could you please tell me what it is ? i have diarrhea every night. i take asacol.
It is likely just mucus and blood.  You need to get in to see your doctor.  You need more than asacol if that is happening.  It is time for some kind of steroid.  Good luck.
Hey ,

Went to Dr. to day he put me on prednisone. I hope this will help, thank you for your advice. I am scared what is going on with me. I sure do thank you for your time.
last night i went to the restroom and passed a oval shaped tissue from myrectum  ,i always have diareha because of not haveing a gallbladder but this has never happen could some one give me advice
My dog has Colitis, and she's battling it bout right now took her to the vet and she was put on antibiotics.  Also, was told white rice to feed her. Now she hasn't had a bowel movement since early yesterday morning.  I am concerned.  I was told Pumpkin (not the mix) in a can would be better then rice.  Would that help humans too?  I have Colitis myself, I am on a gluten free diet, so my headaches/migraines have gone away and I have dropped over 20 lbs.  So maybe it's helping too with my Colitis.  I have my dog on a grain free (wheat free etc.) diet too.  Grain is bad for all over us animals included.  Specially now that they are GMO's.  Scary what we are doing to our foods and how they affect us.  I have Celiac Disease it's known to cause serious health problems...research it.  Best wishes.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers