Gastroenterology Community
Uncoloured faeces, a problem?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Uncoloured faeces, a problem?

Dear forums users,

today I found out that my faeces had no colour, or they appeared grey in substance. Also it appeared to be a little shiney (reflection of light). Is it advised for me to seek medical care immeadiatly? Or should I wait for a few days and keep track of the colour every day?

background:
Male, 21 years, Veterinary Student
I have had an acute appendicitis about 1.5 year ago, then I got operated and got my appendix removed
I also have polyuria and polydipsia about a month before this problem, but that has mroe or less resolved. i was tested for diabetes then, and for fatty acids concentrations on an empty stomach. All values turned out to be ok. Also I appear to have higher concentrations of female hormones in my body due to the fact that I was diagnosed with gyneacomasty as well.

maybe it is i am a little bit worried since i am a veterinarian student, and we just had some classes about this. I know it could be hepatitis or gall bladder obstruction in which case I should see myself getting icterus in some time.
Colorless stool is from the lack of the bile in it. There are two common causes for this: 1. bile flow is blocked within main biliary duct due to: gallstone (from gallbladder), pressure of pancreas from outside, stenosis, or other bile duct disorder.
2. Bile flow is blocked within the liver (intrahepatic cholestasis) due to liver disease.

Third possibility would be that bile is not synthesised correctly.

Problem with polyuria may be: diabetes insipidus from lowered ADH hormone secretion, and gynecomastia from elevated secretion due to hypophiseal adenoma or disorder higher in hypothalamus. I think you need CT or MRI of the head.

If your stool will get color again, it means that blockage in the bile duct (probably stone) was released, but the original problem - forming the stones - remains.

You need:
1. Stool fat test
2. Ultrasound of gallbladder
3. CT or MRI of hypophysis
...gynecomastia from elevated secretion of **FSH**
Isn't it also due to the fact of nutrition or some bacterial infections the faces can get a lack of colour?

Anyways thanks for the replies I will keep it in mind, i will check my feaces every day on colour and consistancy, if it does not turn back to the original colour thursday I will attend my house doctor again (like 3rd time in 2 months :( i hate to get that bill)
You can't get colorless (grey) stool from an intestinal infection or some food (unless you eat exactly such grey food). I guess thursday is a good day for see a doctor ;) .