Gastroenterology Community
Uncontrollable, Excessive Flatulence after Childirth

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am the mother of two children. When my first child was born, I had a very difficult forcep delivery. My son had a large head and I tore very badly. In the months that followed, I noticed that my rectum muscles were not as strong as they once wore. I have been told that I have a rectocele, although I do not suffer from incontinence, thankfully. Still, I noticed that I suddenly had a problem with passng gas frequently, all day. Usually, it is just small squeaks and toots, that do not smell, but they are not noticeable and embarrassing. When my second child was born, I had another vaginal delivery that was almost perfect. My daughter was smaller and I did not tear at all. However, it now seems like that the gas is even worse than before. Most of the time, it seems as if it comes out of nowhere, and is completely uncontrollable. My daughter is 3 months old and I go back to work in another 2 months. I worry about embarrassing myself in front of clients. Is there anything that I can do for this? I am concerned about going to see a rectum specialist for fear that they will tell me that subsequent pregnancies must be by caesarean. What solutions will they be able to offer? Are there medicines that can help, or is the only option surgery? Can surgery even fix this? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated!