Gastroenterology Community
Undiagnosed Upper Stomach Pain

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Undiagnosed Upper Stomach Pain

Ever since I can remember I have had an excruciating pain in my upper abdomen, between my ribs. It's at the bottom of my ribs right in the middle. The pain is a stabbing pain to begin with and then it goes to a gnawing pain that can last for hours. No moving, strecthing, walking, sitting, applying pressure, or anything of that nature will help. No medications have helped this problem either. I've been going to gastroenterologists since I was about 6 years old and all they have ever told me is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. To treat the symptoms of IBS that I have (diarrhea, gas, bloating, indigestion, upset stomach) they have put me on countless medications such as Bentyl, Levsin, amitriptyline, cholestyramine, and many others for all different reasons. Finally a year ago they did a esophagogastroduodenoscopy and saw that I had acute Acid Reflux (I was on Nexium for 6 months and those symptoms aren't very severe), Esophagitis, and they also found small amounts of plaque in my stomach. They took biopsies from that test and everything came back normal. They have taken countless blood tests to determine any inflammatory diseases, such as Chron's or IBD, and done lactose-intolerance tests. All of those came out normal as well. To add to that, many stool tests have been done to look for parasites or any abnormalities, with nothing out of the ordinary. I just would like to hear any opinions of what to do next, who to consult, or any answers that may help identify my problem!! I just want to feel better. Thank you for reading and hope to hear anything helpful!