Gastroenterology Community
Unexplained nocturnal vomiting in 8-month-old

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi all, I want to apologize for a long post, but I feel like all the information is helpful in explaing my situation.

I have an 8-month-old daughter who was perfectly healthy until she was 5-months-old and cold and flu season started. She has had a mix of viruses including RSV and two ear infections, therefore has been on prednisone twice and three antibiotics.

The last week in February she came down with what we thought was another virus and began vomiting only at night. She did this for about 10 days, then it got better for a week and we thought she was in the clear. Then her older sister got a stomach virus and two days later the vomiting began again (on March 11 to be exact). For two weeks straight she vomitted 5-6 times only at night and appeared to not have much of an appetite during the day. I took her to the pediatrician after the first week and she told me it was just a virus. After another week of this, I brought her back to the doctor and they told me the stomach virus probably caused some reflux and had me put her on mylanta. Once we started Mylanta, seemed to be a little relieved but developed diarrhea (which I now know is a sideeffect of the medication) and vomitted a few days after we started it, so I took her back to the pediatrician who tested her for C. diff (which came up negative) and prescribed prevacid.

After starting the prevacaid, she vomitted again, so we made another visit to the pediatrician. At this point, she was only 4 oz bottles at a time opposed to the typical 8 oz bottle and she was just starting to accept solids again. The doctor basically told me I am an overconcerned mother and that my daughter is still thriving so I shouldn't be concerned.

Frustrated, I wondered if she had devoloped secondary lactose intolerance after the virus so I changed her to a hypoallergenic formula a week ago. Her appetite has definitely increased to almost normal so I'm thinking it was helpful but she still has vomited twice since the formula change.

In almost every instance, we lay her down asleep at night (which we never had to do before) and she wakes up about 45 minutes later crying and she either vomits in her crib or once we pick her up. Once she vomits she seems fine and takes another few ounces and will eventually go to bed.

She used to be a great sleeper, never cried, never fussed. Really was such an easy baby. I am so incredibly frustrated trying to figure out what is wrong with my sweet baby. I can't find anyone who can relate our story. It's been over a month of this vomiting and I am going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my child.

I am desperate to get some input from you ladies as to what might be wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.Hi all, I want to apologize for a long post, but I feel like all the information is helpful in explaing my situation.

After starting the prevacaid, she vomitted again, so we made another visit to the pediatrician. At this point, she was only 4 oz bottles at a time (opposed to the typical 8 oz bottle) and she was just starting to accept solids again. The doctor basically told me I am an overconcerned mother and that my daughter is still thriving so I shouldn't be concerned.

Frustrated, I wondered if she had devoloped secondary lactose intolerance after the virus so I changed her to a hypoallergenic formula a week ago and started giving her probiotics. Her appetite has definitely increased to almost normal so I'm thinking it was helpful but she still has vomited twice since the formula change.

In almost every instance that she vomits, we lay her down asleep at night (which we never had to do before but have had to since the vomit started) and she wakes up about 45 minutes later crying and she either vomits in her crib or once we pick her up. Once she vomits she seems fine and takes another few ounces and will eventually go to bed.

I am desperate to get some input as to what might be wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, is she still continuing to have vomiting? is her weight gain good? is she losing weight? if she is continuing to have vomiting and if she is losing weight then sometimes structural defects in the bowel need to be ruled out. You will need to consult a pediatric surgeon. Regards.