Gastroenterology Community
Unexplained sickness

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Unexplained sickness

My mum is a 48, she has always been active, eaten healthily and never had any serious health problems. Last september her symptoms started, which include sickness after eating or drinking, dizziness, drained of all energy. At first it was only occasional, she would get through most days feeling a bit uncomfortable but not actually being sick, then by december it had become a daily occurrence. Since december 2008 she has had 5 days without sickness. She started to lose weight rapidly in about march, she has now lost over 2 stone and it doesnt seem to be getting any better.
Through her work she was seen on private health care, we have had many tests done and so far stomach ulcers, tumours and hernias have all been ruled out. There were some abnormal growths found on her appendix, the appendix was removed and that made no difference, she has had a gastroscopy, a ct scan, isomeric meals and so far all that has been concluded is that her stomach isnt digesting properly. she is currently taking omeprazole on a daily basis to neutralise the acid in her stomach to try and prevent further damage through her sickness. She has had botox injected into her stomach to try and encourage digestion, but this has made no difference. Due to the fact that no conclusion has yet been reached the insurance will no longer pay for her to see the doctor on private health care, and the only option they can now come up with, which is a last resort as it costs £20,000, is to insert a pacemaker into her stomach. Now that she has to wait to be seen on the NHS we are worried about how much longer she can go on like this.
Although she is able to cope with the sickness, as uncomfortable and difficult as it is, it is becoming more of a problem now as her general health is deteriorating, her eyes have steadily got worse, as has her hearing and her teeth. She has always been an extremely strong person and up until now she had been dealing with it well, but now its taking a bit of an emotional toll on her, she is very stressed and upset about the whole situation.
No foods are better than others, she eats on a completely hit and miss basis, sometimes things digest well one day, then not at all the next day. On average she is sick twice a day, sometimes more sometimes less. If anyone has any ideas of anything we could try to help her situation it would be hugely appreciated.
Theres still been no improvement, we were thinking whether it could be anything to do with aluminium poisining? one of her tests was a tissue mineral analysis and her levels of aluminium were 0.39, i've just found out that aluminium poisining can lead to digestive problems and can also cause skin rashes, which she has had but we thought were unrelated? her selenium levels were also way aboe average 0.503 when an average is 0.18. please reply if you have any ideas.
  Has your mom gotten tested for any more toxins?  Any update since I private messaged you?
I'm so sorry to read about your mom. I too was once very active and now I am sick all the time. I can't work out anymore and I barely cook for my children (15,17,17) my stomach is 80% paralyzed. The doc did mention a pace maker but I am tyring to avoid foods that are hard to digest. I'm so sorry that you are wtaching your mother suffer. It must be horrible. I too agree that you may want to test her for poisening. I had too much cadmium which came from smoking when I was young. Also nutrsweet causes nerve damage and is a neurostoxin. Did your mother ever drink diet soda's?