Gastroenterology Community
Unusual Body Odor

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Unusual Body Odor

Hello, my name is Henok. I am 22 years old. My symptoms initially began as flaulence and constipation during my senior year of high school. During this time, I did not exercise and had a poor diet. During my freshman year of college, the symptoms (flatulence, constipation) worsened to the point that it did not matter what I ate. I could actually smell the flatulence throughout the hall. I began eating lots of salads and drinking lots of water during this time but I also ate unhealthy food sometimes (pizza, subs, french fries, etc). I also began to exercise more often (2 hours a day). In addition, I should also point out that I was under a lot of stress during this period. During my sophomore year, I began eating a more restricted diet (salads, turkey, water, cereal, etc) and also began drinking aloe vera juice. The flatulence and the constipation disappeared. I eventually stopped drinking aloe vera after a few months. Other than one incident of food poisoning in my first semester as sophomore, everything seemed fine. However somewhere between the second semester of my sophomore year and the beginning of my junior year, people began complaining of some type of unusual body odor (which I did not smell). During this time, I had no flatulence and constipation due to my improved diet and exercise. I went to the doctor who ran some blood tests and sent me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist ran a colonscopy, which seemed fine and took some blood tests (came back negative). For the two years, I have tried to vary my diet to see what was the cause of the unusual body odor (which i do not smell personally) but no matter what I do it does not seem to remove the odor. Drinking lots of water and eatting lots of salad seems to help a little in diminishing the body odor. To be honest, this is frustrating because for the last 2 to 3 year, my diet has been well balanced and I have continued to exercise. I no longer have the flatulence or constipation but this unusual body odor remains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.    
Hi, you seem to have gone through the same thing as me. I too had constipation and flatulence. I tried everything, including diet, fibre and water but nothing worked, and sometimes it just got worse. I later discovered that increasing fibre too much and too quickly makes the flatulence worse. Then after 10 years of this, I decided to drink enough water all the time. After 6 weeks, by flatulence disappeared. Previously I had only tried diet and water for short periods. So I guess I was so dehydrated, that it took my digestive system 6 weeks to recover. Strange really, I see so many people who dont drink water and yet their body does not react like this. I only start to get this problem again, when I slip into my old ways and stop drinking water.

The problem is, I am still the office stinky and I dont know why. I dont know where it is coming from. I cant smell it. It is not something a new person I meet discovers right away (so a five minute visit to the doctor will not help to convince them this is real). When I started my new job it took about a week for people to react. Once, someone came into my office and asked what was that smell. I asked what it smelled like but she had trouble describing it, then eventally said it smelled like "dog". One guy at my work refused to let me sit on his chair, so maybe it is discharge or flatulence (that I am not aware of passing)?

I am vegetarian. I have had blood tests and all are negative. It is not hygiene - i basically have OCD regarding hygiene - in an attempt to make the smell go away. Doctors usually want to prescribe me anti-psychotic drugs because they think I am imagining it. Every time I convince myself I am imagining it, that I dont actually have a problem, someone goes and makes a damn (indirect) comment!