Upcoming Fundoplication
This discussion is related to Anyone have to have Nissen Fundoplication TIGHTENED???.

I am having this surgery done in about a month.  I can not keep any food or liquids down.  I vomit 4-6 times a day.  I have lost 39 pounds in three months.  I have a hiatal hernia and esophagus spasams along with acid reflux.  Also, my lower esophagus pressure is very low, its a 5 and needs to be at least an 8 to keep food down so I am going to have the hiatal hernia removed and my esophagus tightened.  What should I expect after the surgery as far as pain and the recovery time?  Is it possible that the wrap will help my condition the first time?
My husband has horrible GERD and Barrett's Esophogus, so we did a fair amount of research into the Nissen's procedure.  It's entirely possible that your problems will be a thing of the past with this surgery.  Since this is a laparascopic procedure, the recovery should be pretty fast - a week or two.  Like any surgery, the worst is always the first 48 hours.  I've heard more people have problems with the wrap being done too tightly rather than the other way around.  All you can do is make sure your surgeon answers all your questions to your satisfaction before the surgery.  Ask him about his personal success rate in his own practice while you're at it.  Best of luck!
Be sure they tell you about all the post-op complications.  You will not be able to vomit!  Something we did NOT know before surgery!  I'm sure with the right surgeon and some HONEST information pre-op you will make the right decision.