Gastroenterology Community
Upper Stomach Pain After C-section

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Upper Stomach Pain After C-section

I had a c-section 4 months ago I've been having these god aweful stomach pains that make me douple over and last up to 2 hours it makes me feel like I can't catch my breath or even breath. The pain feels like some one is hitting me in the stomach over and over again! I've been to the doctor and they canno't figure it out they gave me some pills to help with the pain it barly works it only takes the feeling of being sick away! I wanna know If any one has expirenced or is expirencing common symptoms as I am?!

This discussion is related to Severe Upper Abdominal Pain.
I had a c-section 2months ago and have been having severe upper abdominal pain.  Apparently this must be some sort of complication of the surgery...i'm still researching what it is and how to fix it.  Hopefully someone will have an answer for us.  
I had a c-section back in July.  I have been having severe upper abdominal also.  My doctor has never heard of any post symptoms like this related to a c-section.  I think they are connected.  I had a vaginal birth with my first son everything was fine and have never had anything like this before.  The only thing I can seem to find is that it might be G.E.R.D.

I would love to figure out what it is and how to relieve it when it happens.  the longest episode I have had lasted 6 hours!  Had one last night for 1 1/2 hours.
The doctor found that the pain was gallstones.  Has nothing to do with a c-section.  Not uncommon after being pregnant.  Look up and read about the symptoms of gall stones.  If you have another attack then go to the emergency room, they will give you something for the pain.  Then they will likley do an utrasound and see the stones and take you in for surgery and fix the problem.  I have been dealing with the pain for 6 months thinking it was just extremely bad indigestion somehow related to the c-section.  Hope this helps.
I've been having upper abdominal pains and they go all the way to my back. They usually last 2-6 hours and pain medicine does not help. This has been going on since I had a c-section 8/12/08, and the pains just come every now and then but not frequently. Yet it was worst when I first had the c section, and now they take longer to come. They come especially when I drink real cold drinks or even ice cream but not all the time.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be, because some people have told me that its just air inside of me.
I have the same problem. Since my c-section on 7/22/10 I have had on and off dull pain in my (mainly) upper abodomin and sometimes it goes toward my sides. It almost feels like trapped gas but I never had this problem with my last pregnancy (vaginal). I notice it's worse when I have milk. It drives me nuts!
I'm suffering the same problem, upper stomach pain that hurts like being squeezed inside, its horrible, since my c-section Dec,27 2010, its not fare I'm done hurting :(, y can't any doctor figure it out, sounds like it has to b the surgery what else we all are suffering this problem, I can't even carry my baby girl when I'm in pain. I'm.gonna sue f*** this
I had a c-section on 01/18/2011 a week after the surgery I started expeiencing excrutiating abdominal pain, I went to the ER ultasound and cat scan negative. I was given anti spasmodic meds and they help sometimes however the pain comes and goes. I pray nothing serious is the cause of this painful ailment. I am still doing research and hope to figure this out soon.
I also had a c-section on 07/21/2011, since then really bad upper abdominal pains.I didn't have this problem with my first son(vaginal).I did have an ultra- sound,showed I have small gallonstones.personally I don't think that's the problem,I was fine until AFTER the c-section.I'm so stressed.
Me tto, I had a c section on 15th July 2011 and over the last 2 weeks i have been getting severe pains in my upper abdomen whihc hurt like hell then go very quickly, like period pains but in totally the wrong place!  I amm going to docs tomorrow so I shall report back as to what my doc says
Good luck all and if any of you get an answer please post back online!
XXXXXXXXXXxxx
I had my first section almost 4 years ago now and it seems this recurring abdominal pain is very common s/p sections. I haven't figured out but a few foods that cause mine and for the most part I do believe it's pent up gas that has nowhere to go because everything's gotten shifted around. It's not that the doctors did anything wrong it's just the nature of having so much done to your body all at once. Relaxing techniques have helped the most when I feel an episode coming on and also exercising or contracting and relaxing your abdominal muscles before the episode gets too bad seems to help release the gas. I hope you can all get some relief!!
Wow,this site really ***** if u know what I mean.Im 25 I had my 1st c-section when I was 16 & for some unexplained reason I have had the same pain in the upper middle of my stomache for the last 9yrs now,at 1st it would come & go,now its pretty much constant,kinda feels like someone is squeezing me from inside or like its swollen or somethin,& it takes my breathe away sometimes,I dont really know how 2 explaine it but it does hurt,& hasent went away been 2 doctors million times & they all said same thing really that they dident know what it was,got very tired of hearin that & being treated like I was only there 4 pain meds when if they would of known what they were doing in the 1st place I wouldent of been hurtin in 1st place,ive learned 2 deal with the pain,thanks all docs in waco,texas.
I have been experiencing the same symptoms since I had a c section 8 months ago-  I get horrible attacks after I eat dairy, and when i relax my stomach muscles when i stand up I experience shortness of breath. I have seen ob/s and gastro dr's,  and had numerous tests done-everything came back normal  and all they have given me is nexium -I am getting frustrated B/C I know there is something wrong- Did you ever get diagnosed with anything? B/C our symptoms are so similar-
Your description sounds just like my pain when I had an inflamed gallbladder and gallstones. I had my gallbladder out and was better. One note: I had orthoscopic surgery and they didn't clean out my common bile duct so I ended up with pancreatitis and 8 days in the hospital. Now the pain is back and they think the common bile duct is the problem again.

Anyway, my message is have them check for gallstones.
I know this is an older post but i am having the exact same symptoms and wanted to know if it resolved for you or if you found out what it was? I had a c-section 2 months ago and my dr said it's acid reflux. Any info. is appreciated. Thanks
I am currently experiencing the same thing. I had a c-section back in April, and ever since, have been having excruciating upper stomach pain. The longest lasting 7 hours. Nothing helps. No matter what position I lay in, the pain is not relieved. It comes and goes as it pleases.The pain is so severe that I burst into tears for hours. It usually hurts worse when I stand up and walk, sometimes having to topple over and regain my strength again.
It is pretty common to develop gallbladder problems during pregnacy. Maybe it was the pregnancy rather than the C-section that relates to the pain. Biliary colic typically lasts from fifteen minutes to eight hours.
I had a a c-section back in may 2012 ans since then I started getting these attacks.  I will describe them.  I cant breath it feels like someone is sitting o me, my chest hurts, i feel sick to my stomach, the pain makes you double over i crawl on the floor, no position helps and standing is worse. They happen mostly at night.  I usually end up vomiting continually even when i have nothing left. Attacks last for hours.  I just cant do this for years and years. Its only been since my c-section. Can anyone relate?
A simple ultrasound is painless and would probably give you the answer.
Sounds similar to what i am experiencing. I had a C section last september 2011 with my third child, first two normal birth no ploblems at all. It normally accurs after my periods. The pain starts as soon as i lie down in bed at night, bad indigestion, pains in my back, upper tummy ache. One of the midwifes at the hospital told me to try glass of dilute peppermint to help. it does work after a while.
I think it would be important here to understand why further evaluation is important. You are giving a very typical description of biliary colic. If your symptoms are actually being produced by a diseased gallbladder you have about a one in three chance of having a severe complication. The mortality rate of dealing with your gallbladder in this situation increases the death rate by as much as a hundred fold. People get into the mind set that they can just put up with the symptoms but the only thing this does is to increase the odds of a bad outcome. A little peppermint as a smooth muscle relaxant might briefly help the colic but will not reduce the long term risk.
I've had the same pain.
I've had the same pain.
I've been through 3 CTs ,xrays, hida scan, ultrasounds of abdomen and uterus, blood work, ekg for low pulse rate of 51, and no diagnosis other than tsh is 0.001. Possible hyperthyroid. I have stomach upset, cramp squeezing like pains most often early in the day and hip, side, and back pain only on the right.
I have been having this pain for 3months now after having my second c-setion and it is soo bad when I get it that I cannot even hold my baby boy, it starts in my back and progresses to my upper stomach. I really don't kno why it is happening because I never had it with my first c-setion a year Ago.
I had a c section 4 weeks ago and after 2 weeks, that upper abdominal pain started. I felt like it was eating up my insides, can't take a deep breath, can't walk, nor sit, nor stand, for real! We went to the ER, the pain meds never kicked in. Cat scan and xrays showed a back up of stool and gas in the intestines. I had to take magnesium citrate and other laxatives and gas meds. Not much came out so I don't think that's the cause. Still getting these pains! We need help fast!
3 weeks after having my section which was almost 4 months ago, I started feeling severe gas pains and nothing I was doing would get rid of it. Then I started battling constipation and now my stomach burns every day and hurts. This is crazy!
try a spoon of oliveoil every. morning before breakfast a lady told me every woman after labor needs to clean her digestive system if not this happens i began suffering from this but began taking this and it has gotten way better
Hi its been 4 years since I had my c-sction I had twin girls and just about 6 months ago I started having bad upper stomachs pain sometimes it feel like menstrualcramps and the sometimes it feel like labor contraction all over again then I can feel something right above my bellybutton but only when I hurt I be telling my husband something not right do anybody out there have any similar thingsin ccommon please let me know because I am starting to get worried?
I have been having those exact symptoms for a year since I had my c section. I have been to doctors, A&E had ultrasound, endoscopy etc and it's all clear but the pains keep reoccurring. Did anyone get any answers?