Gastroenterology Community
Upper abdominal pain following eating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Upper abdominal pain following eating

Briefly, I'm a 43 yo female who had her gallbladder removed in 1993.  I am a type 2 diabetic.  Over the last 3 months I've dropped 36 pounds without effort and certainly without trying.  Recently, following some pain in my upper abd. region following exercise, and following a barium swallow exam, a hiatal hernia was located.  Meds were prescribed and taken as directed, but pain increased and began to get worse, including stabbing pain through the chest and through the back.  Took 12 hours for the pain during one attack to subside.  Doctor increases meds and says give the meds time to work.  Meal plans are small meals eaten frequently.  Pain becomes manageable but never absent.  One week later, following a meal out at a restaurant, I experience my worst pain attack yet.  Nothing eased the pain but no ER was around as we were up north so I spent 48 hours curled in a fetal position and it was the only thing that eased the pain.  Returned to broth and jello for 3 days.  Doctor not available in the office til Wednesday of that week so I waited 3 days.  The morning of my appt, at 4 a.m. the pain became unbearable following a small meal the night before of noodles.  ER admits me, no lab work shows anything is going on, no vomiting, pain meds administered and I was pain free for the first time in 3 months.  CT shows normal.  I was released 12 hours later, not because I was stable but because it was my primary doctor/attending physicians last day in the area so he wasn't going to be around for further care.  I was sent home, in pain, actively vomiting at that point, told to remain on clear liquid diet (no end to that given so 48 hours later I'm still on clear liquid with blood sugar holding ok so far), and have not attempted to eat anything but jello or broth.  No primary doctor to report to as I said he's gone now and there is no new MD in the office to take over my case.  To me its a clear pancreatitis and an ERCP needs to be performed to identify the pancreatic abnormality but what do I do to get a doctor to listen to me to do the test?