Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy at same time... have a question
Hi there,

I have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy done at the same time. I am a very anxious and panicky person. Anything that obstructs my capability to breath freaks me out! I have had a sigmoidoscopy, no anesthisia, and did fine. They found two polyps, benign, but now want to do a colonoscopy and endoscopy because of my chest pain and stomachaches and nausau and blood in my stool.

Okay- my question is... I know for the colonoscopy I will be sedated, I am terrified of that feeling of loosing control but I think i will be okay. But having a tube stuck down my throat is really scaring me. Can it obtruct the area from getting air? Can you choke with it? Is it done while sedated or before that part so you can help swallow it? Anyone tell me their experience.

Thanks- Clarissa
Hi Clarissa,

I had an endoscopy a few weeks ago and I too was worried about the feeling of choking and also worried about being asked to swallow the scope. They gave me the sedation before even attempting to put the scope in my mouth and all I remember is waking up in recovery!! They give you a medication that causes memory loss of the entire procedure. You honestly either go to sleep or are so sedated you have no recollection of what went on.

They found some mild gastritis with me and have since then discovered I have a diseased gallbladder and am on my way to a surgeon to have the thing removed!

Good luck and dont worry..you will do fine! :)

Heather
I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time a couple of weeks ago.  I too was terrified of having something down my throat.  They gave me iv medicine and I do not have any memory of the endoscopy.  If it were not for a very mild sore throat afterwards, I would not believe they did the endoscopy.  Really, you have nothing to worry about during the procedure.  I also have no memory of the colonoscopy either.

Sherd