Gastroenterology Community
Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy at same time
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Upper endoscopy and colonoscopy at same time

If you have a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy done at the same time (on the same day) do they give you extra sedation or do they give you a general anaesthetic?  Also, what are the chances of having a general anaesthetic if you requested one?  I'm very nervous about having the upper endoscopy because I am worried about having something done my throat.

Related Discussions
-11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
The same as teko.  They gave me a i.v. with something in it and there was no problemo.  I watched the cholonoscopy on the monitor as a mater of fact.  Interesting.  The prep work with that "draino" was awful,  I was constipated for a week, but then again I have a real sensitive digestive tract.
Blank
I too had the endo & colo done at the same time. They gave me I.V. sedation I requested oxygen beacuuse of fears of having something down my throat.( I have asthma so this was a real concern) I slept through it all. I was a lot better then I thought it would be. I did have some abdominal pain after due to the amount of air they injected but it passed in a few hours. Good Luck!
Blank
Sorry for my slow reply.  Thanks for everyone's answers, it helps hearing first hand from other people that has been through it and to hear that it's not that bad.  

I just hope that the colonoscopy and endoscopy will give some insight as to what could be causing this awful lower left pelvic pain I'm experiencing.  Perhaps it's my endometriosis coming back after all.
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank