Gastroenterology Community
Vagus nerve

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Viewing 201 comments:
I've had exactly the same experiences. It has something to do with the cranial nerves which all go through our neck. The vagus nerve is the tenth cranial nerve. I think it has something to do with subluxations in the cervical area or thoracic areas that are pressing on the vagus nerve. That is why some people who go to chiropractors are getting relief. I may finally go back to one even though I'm afraid of getting my neck "cracked", if you know what I'm talking about.
hi i also suffer when my bowels move and open , lung are clear before ,but wheeze and crackle when bowels move ,the sputum then starts to leave me with every cough , i receive a repair to a hiatus hernia in 2009 but this has happened ever since , every doc reckons it is the vagus nerve but the surgeon who did the opp is denying  it , but the NHS has done nothing to help , my GP wants e to go private but with no money how can I .
When my atlas goes out my symptoms are cascading flushing throughout my body and anxiety which lasts about 45 seconds at a time . After the atlas is adjusted it takes about 3 days to come off the tension the episodes caused in my body. Very debilitating. Anyone have similar symptoms?
I am currently dealing with these same symptoms. Was wondering how you guys are doing now after dealing with it as long as you all have and if you ever got answers.
My symptoms are almost identical.... Wow! Its amazing that I have been suffering with this for too long without knowing whats going on. Some times of the year are worse and some are better.
I had ulcer surgery some 30 years ago, and the surgeon cut my vegus nerve. I was left with a dumping syndrome that occurs when I drink anything too soon before or after eating. I also have suffered from irritable bowel for so long I can't remember whether or not that started before or after the vegotomy. At any rate, I now have suspicions that my heart palpitations and stomach spasms might be related to that vegotomy. My daughter, who is a medical doctor, told me that the researchers are looking at the vegus nerve and the heart. However, one thing points in another direction in my family. My grandmother's heart raced and jumped all of her life (and she lived to 100). So, how much is genetic and how much is due to the vegotomy? At any rate, I will remind my doctor about my vegotomy and let him research it. I actually think he might.
Hi Linda, I am in a-fib as i type this. This is my fourth episode and third in just over a year. They did not keep me in hospital this time so its a bit scary at home. Must lkook into this vagus nerve. It definately makrs sense. . Thanks for your help and hope you have good health. God bless, Trevor
Hello,i am a 54 yr.old Female.On July 30,2012 I had a complete Thyroid removal in which it left my Vocal cords paralized for 2 months and the Dr. severed my Vagus nerve in my neck. I couldn't speak of almost two months.Now one vacal cord is working,i get choked all the time for no reason,can breath, headache,neck pain,sometime i think i am going criplled ,can hardly walk,have blood clots in one leg phagized (Miss spelled)in the other leg . Have a Hernia in my stomach,already had heart problems and now have MORE..Have dirreah and Const. never now what i am going to get!!Have Deppre. all i want to do is sleep....THIS is NOT ME,i always thought it was a sin to sleep in the day.you sleep when your gone !!LOL.I am at my wits end,this is the hardest thing i have ever been through!!don't know which way to turn..some one HELP!!thank you!!!
Botox injections given cosmetically or for medical reasons can cause damage to the vagus nerve and all of the symptoms you are describing.  If you have had botox in the last 2-3 years, suspect it as the cause of your symptoms.  Go to botoxsupportcommunity ******* for more info.
Reading these comments in this forum means I'm not going nuts. Got all the same symptoms but I noticed elsewhere that another guy with the same symptoms was on the same medication, beta blocker, Cardicor - asprin - Ramipril - Omacor - Simvistatin. Anybody else in the boat. Al
Hi Allen. Did you call me? I'm on these meds and I have these symptoms. I realized a long time ago that my bumpy afib  was related to my hiatus and reflux, although not all the time. It's another trigger, sure, but not entirely. But try telling that to the docs. Also the meds trigger indigestion and reflux at times. It'd all a viscious circle and delicate balancing act. Glad I found this thread, people. Sorry you all got these probs, but good to share.
I know its almost four years later, but how are your sypmtoms and have you done anything new? i too have mild regurgitation.
Do any of the members here have a sensitivity to fluorescent lights?
Everyong finding this post should totally change their diet for 1 week.  Eat totally vegan for 1 week.  see if you see a difference.. i did in just 3 days. Also raw veggies seemed to hard on my tum, so most were cooked. avoid refulx veggies like onions (raw) and tomatoes.  beans can create to much acid to as they are high in carbs. brown rice,, no meat, no cheese no dairy .. just 1 week.  
Hey ya Sarah 555 & all; First of all, Sarah, you are absolutely not alone, nor dead (hopefully-tho Zombie culture certainly seems to be expanding). IT IS VERY EASY TO FEEL ALONE @3:3O A.M. WHEN LAYING IN THE DARK & FEELING LIKE CRUD!! DON'T THINK THESE WEIRD YUCKS ARE ANXIETY ATTACKS-BUT THE HEART IRREGULARITIES, ETC., CAN MOST DEF CAUSE STRESS THEMSELVES! This reminds me of telling my doc abt my legs going bonkers at night & moving by themselves. I get this long stare, can totally pick up on the lack of empathy, then he suggests that "perhaps something else" is going on "in my life". Gee, waking up household by moaning & not sleeping most of night??-That's not enuf?? Scream!!! Its like--- if they don't have a drug out there for your complaint----well then, yr makin' it up for attention.  Then once the drug is out there-golly-here have some this for whatever ails you. Twinks!
When I was 12-hit puberty & got heartburn, & would end up involuntarily barfing anything that wouldn't digest...beef, canola oil, fried shrimp, anything spicy- which I adore-but- I actually sweat like jalapeno chilis out my skin-which would burn excruciatingly ya don't realize what an extensive organ shin is 'til its all on fire-Whaah!
Now when I get heartburn, my left arm burns in this odd line, hafta massage it like crazy or would go nuts.
In conclusion, I'm sorry that most of us are treated so disrespectfully by the medical 'profession'. I've actually been yelled at by a highly recommended (didn't even apologize after READING the chart)doctor---I finally went to an acupuncturist -he just happened to 'notice' I was hyper-thyriod & anaemic.
Anyway, would strongly recommend a well-trained naturopath/acupuncture specialist. Regards,
We have been searching for some answers and we came across this old article.My husband had surgery in  1983,86,91 the end result was a total gastrectomy with a roux y and a vagotomy.He lost55 ibs. after this but over the years has slowly gained back.He has had a lot of issues over the years ,one being decreased energy,depression etc,etc,ectJust wondering if you are still actively sharing any new information
Hi all - I read this thread years ago and it started me on a journey to finally solving this problem (and all the other stomach problems I had) I, like many of you, thought: I was having a heart attack, probably dying of something, afraid I would pass out at work, went to every doctor under the sun and had all the heart tests. Somehow, by searching on the web, I found this site all those years ago and that got me convinced it was my vagus nerve. After experimenting quite a bit, I finally have fixed this problem with supplements. Ginger is the primary one that fixes the heart racing. (No, it isn't just for upset tummies) I have put the whole formula on the internet for free because it took me so darn long to figure it out. what a waste of life! Anyway, I hope some of you try it and get the same relief that I have. I will be posting more and more info as I go, but the supplement program is up and running. (And no, I'm not selling anything. The info is at ****.com.  I hope you feel better!
Deb
Okay, so I see the website address is blocked. Seriously, I am not selling anything. I wrote the website the sad stomach because I was spending a lot of time writing long, extensive emails to family and friends about what to take and why they were having problems. that's it. The site is just meant to help people.
It's a relief to know im not the only o e suffering from this. My cadiac symptoms started 3 months ago w chest pain. Then turned into attacks of tachycadia, pulse up to 170 and increased bp. Now taking calcium channel blocker, hr max 150 during attack. No doc so far has been able to figure this mystery out...have been to 2 top noch hospitals! I have history of back problems, ibs, hypothyroism. I have lost 10 lbs since symptoms began. I know food triggers these attacks, just couldnt understand why. In addition to attacks, i also experience mid back pain and pain in my sides. Have had  nasaua at time, sleep difficulities/disturbances, adrenaline surges, and heart skipping/palpitations. Interested to see if seeing a chirolractor could help improve syptoms (symptoms). I plan to see gi doc to discuss vagus nerve az possible cause.
I had the 'jump awake in terror' thing going on and I have been on a mission with my hypothyroid condition.   I do have problems with thyroid but they stem from adrenal fatigue.  It is like a cascade, one thing knocks another.  However, I also believe that gluten is a serious problem and my stomach 'vagus' (vagabond) gets upset when made to process that stuff.  It is annoying, but try being without gluten.  I am also going to try some L-Glutamine, which is a brilliant gut and muscle healer.  I did take it years ago when a therapist recommended it to me.  I had been leading a pretty wild life and drank a little too much wine.  I get a tight neck and the 'buggy eye' thing.  Deep breathing for ten mins also helps.  Whatever you do, think twice before taking anything the doctors suggest;  they cure one thing and start five others.  Remember, it is not in the pharmaceutical company interest to make you better!!!
Best Wishes Ann
I can't believe what you are all saying.  For about a year now I have been having problems with excess gas in the stomach, pain with difficulting breathing, increased palpitations, passing out especially if I try to stand up staight.  I have to stay in a bent over position, not even swallow because it causes so much pain especially on the right side radiating down the arm with numbness.  I have been having trouble with the voice with horarseness, constant throat irritatioin, voice change, and difficulty with hearing loss.  Have had the ednocospy, cartherizations, thryroid testing, now on the ent and lung specialist.  I keep telling them there is a spot right where the ribs some together and it gets really tender.  Thanks for the posts.  I feel like maybe I will be back to my chiropractor and see if that will help.  The doctor's aren't listening.
The numbness thing sounds like ms. After an mri WITH CONTRAST! , i was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I have all these issues too, which at the present time, doctors in the u.s. don't link to ms, but other countries do.
Amgazing....this condition we have [mine was diagnosed as neurocardiogenic scope] is missed by doctors and is a very common issue!  You think you are drying when it all gets going...false signals bouncing back and forth from brain to organs and back ...reserves all dumping at once and we are diagnosed with herd and anxiety...lol...Sensitive autonomic nerves are the cause. I was also diagnosed with ms. There IS a correlation, though neurologisets in the u.s. disagree. Nadalol and paxil keeps mine from blowing up as bad. 10 hour attack is shortened to just a few seconds here and there.
MS....Mri with contrast.
&&&&&&&&&______test for multiple sclerosis...MRI  WITH contrast....ask heart Dr. For NADALOL for the neurocardiogenic syncope......be careful with prilosec. We need SOME stomach acid. Prilosec can harm the .ph and stress the heart.
Wow....i had to look at the name again...thought i was reading  my own post.  Force those bumps!
Burps *
It's both comforting and disheartening to see so many people are having problems. Mostly disheartening though, because:
1) No one has really found a solid diagnosis with a solid cure, and
2) Everyone here seems to be way way older than me, and dealing with it for a long time, and suffering.

I'm 21 years old, lean/thin (always have been), never drink alcohol, never smoke, never do drugs (neither illegal or prescription), never been pregnant, always had normal menstrual cycles, and have been in pretty good shape up until I was about 14 years old, when I had my first vasovagal attack.

It's really, really upsetting for me to see that there isn't more research in the field of what causes vagus nerve irritation, and that so many people here have gone 10, 20, or even 40 years with the awful symptoms they've had, and nothing that can help them.

I sympathize, but don't want to live the rest of my life like that. I don't want to be confined to my house all alone, not knowing when the next attack is going to happen and afraid to go out in public if I'm feeling the least bit ill. When a vasovagal attack happens, it is debilitating.

I want to go to work. I want to go to school. I don't want to apply for disability, or move in with my parents so they can keep an eye on me But lately these have been suffering because of my symptoms, and I am now completely unable to function normally. And the doctors still cannot figure out what's wrong; and if they do, they don't know how to fix it.

I've had maybe 5 acute vasovagal attacks in the past 7 years, which triggered an episode of SVT every time (with a heart rate of 220 BPM upwards). The cardiologist said I had an extra electrical pathway in my heart that was misfiring and causing the SVT episodes, so I had a catheter ablation done and it seemed to fix the problem...

... Until a few weeks ago. However, when I went into an attack, my BPM was in the 150's range, which is still a significant improvement thanks to the ablation. BUT... I want to find out what is really causing this vagus nerve stimulation. After an attack ends, I feel awful and my heart and breathing is just not right for weeks afterwards. Tests and scans from the cardiologist show nothing. But yet it puts me out of school, out of work. I'm almost done with college, the finish line is right in front of me, and it's frustrating when this disability randomly attacks me and keeps me at home for weeks at a time, with no warning whatsoever.

Things that were usually going on before I had an attack:
- Sitting, hunched over something. Feet on floor or sitting cross-legged made no difference.
- Every time I've gone to the hospital for an attack, they said I was mildly dehydrated. Dehydration may play a role in my attacks, as I live in the dry desert and keeping up with daily fluid intake is a chore.
- I never have an aura or feeling that something bad is going to happen before, but this last time I felt a bit nauseated, weak, and pale. Also suddenly had an extremely hard time paying attention in class. And then the attack suddenly happened.

What happens to me when I get an attack:
- I can be sitting and doing nothing, and my heart will just stop. I start to feel weak and my vision fails for a few seconds, but I take a huge gasp of air and catch myself. (AKA, in the process of passing out due to my heart not beating at all for roughly 4 seconds.)
I've never actually passed out from an attack, but I've gotten extremely close.
- After initial feelings of being about to faint, I take a huge inhalation of air, usually by reflex (I don't remember ever consciously doing this, it just happens, possibly a reflex because my body perceives hypoxia? I don't know). That's when my heart starts to beat again, suddenly in SVT.
- Breathing is really deep and I feel starved for oxygen, and I'm gasping to speak.
- Anxiety comes on about a minute in, because I push away any anxiety when it first happens so that I can deal with what's going on and try to think clearly.
- I feel like I'm going to pass out or my heart is going to stop at any second.
- I've had elevated blood pressure every time, and Oxygen sats are usually less than normal for me. My normal being 99, sometimes they're 97.
- Blood sugar has been normal.
- This last time it happened, people told me I looked pale.

How I feel after the attack ends (for weeks on end):
- Exhausted
- Very depressed, and a lot of the symptoms that accompany depression
- Some occasional anxiety, including agoraphobia and other symptoms that accompany anxiety
- Weak; lifting or pushing/pulling heavy things or anything with resistance makes me feel like I'm working too hard.
- Lack of appetite. I try to eat because I need to eat, but I often times end up gagging and the most I can consume is liquids. For some reason the smell of melted cheese really makes me gag; while I'm not a big cheese fan, I don't know if that's significant or not.
- Very sensitive to heat, it will make me feel like I'm working too hard, and also makes me nauseated, no matter how well I stay hydrated.
- Center of chest from sternum to my navel feels tight, uncomfortable
- Occasional deep but dull pangs of chest pain, in various places.
- When I swallow I feel like there is a lump deep down in my esophagus, and food seems to take longer to reach my stomach and I can feel it go all the way down, with a very dull hurt the closer the food gets to my stomach. It is similar to the feeling of swallowing after healing from heartburn.
- My face now looks pale all the time, and sometimes my lips are more a bit more red than usual.
- I've developed ophthalmic migraines, I have one consistently every 3 months or so.
- I have developed a hypersensitivity to certain lights and patterns over the past couple of years. I never used to be sensitive to either, but sometimes a certain light or pattern will cause me to suddenly feel derealized and lose my balance for a second before I look away and close my eyes. Now this has progressed to the point that if I'm playing the piano and my head is tilted down even slightly to where I can see the pattern of black and white keys, it can happen and I'll lose my balance and start leaning off to the side before I catch myself and shake my head to get rid of the feeling.
- I have also developed flicker vertigo, usually when sunlight (or artificial light from a lamppost at night) shines through rows of trees. I've lived around trees for most of my life, and driven in cars plenty of times, so I don't know why this would start happening so recently.

Also my mom says she's had vasovagal attacks before that have also sent her to the ER (my mom also has GERD), and she said her mom complained about heart problems after they immigrated to the USA during WWII. I hope it's not genetic, but it doesn't matter because doctors don't know what it is. It's not that they blow me off, they just DON'T KNOW.

In short, I don't want to live with this B.S. condition for the majority of my life like a lot of the people here have. It's completely unacceptable. I have such a clean track record that I don't want to waste my life living indoors, unable to do all the things that the other kids do, while even the bad kids that drink and smoke and get crunk and break the law for fun get to have a happy and normal life without any consequences. What do I get?

I'm just so angry and frustrated that I have the problems of an old dying person when I'm only 21. It doesn't help that my mom makes fun of me saying "I have the body and endurance of an old lady", and that when she was my age she was all fit, as if this condition is somehow my fault. I apologize if I have offended anyone by using the term "old dying person", but I hope you can understand where my anger and frustration comes from.
Very interesting I have the exact same symptoms and always wondered if the vagus nerve was responsible..
First understand that I am here because I am trying to understand what is happening to me. I am 40 and hate the idea of being stuck with what is happening to me, so I understand your concern. At your age, you should be vibrant, happy, and at peace. Looking forward to the next day.
An endoscope is helpful to know what be going on inside the esophagus. Your description of having trouble getting food down, is typical of GERD sufferers. If that is a problem, at least you will know, and can look for a solution or learn to manage it.
Your description of the light sensitivity etc. sounds Neurological (other than vagus). PLEASE see a specialist to look into that. It could be minor or major.
Remember that anxiety does it's own damage. Learn to manage it, but do not overlook it. Anxiety can be a symptom and a cause. Often it becomes both. Regardless, on it's own it will really beat you up.

Personally, I went to a neurologist for my symptoms. This was a young doctor (for this, I think that it is helpful), and responsive. He thought my ideas on the vagus nerve was a good thought.
I have many of the heart symptoms mentioned here, but I never figured that it was my heart. I will find out the results of tests, monitor, etc this week.
I have the reflux and associated agony/discomfort. I feel as if my digestive system in general is out of order. My symptoms are typical of what is mentioned in this thread. An endoscope has shown minor irritation etc. A small 4cm hernia. They want to talk hernia, and maybe I will revisit that, but I am not convinced that is the root of my problem. A lot of people have hernias and normal reflux.
I have constant ringing in my ears, and a constant low grade pain in the back of my head. I understand that the vagus nerve has some relation to the ears.
I have swallowing problems. Mostly a sore dry throat (LPR), but my palate is not closing off my nasal cavity. Food gets in it, and excessive mucus is made and makes it's own trouble when I swallow. As far as I understand, this is a vagus nerve function.
I am having fainting spells, regardless whether or not I am having the stomach discomfort. My blood pressure, while normally good, fluctuates to an extreme.
The vagus nerve plays a role with the lungs so if the heart is getting told that something is not getting enough oxygen, it goes to work.
I also have rather intense breathing episodes.

My anxiety level has went up, and early on my symptoms led to panic attacks. It seams that I have that under control, the best I can tell. The symptoms are certainly uncomfortable.

My best hope at the moment is Oesteophytes at C5 and C6. I have a visible impression on my esophagus per my barium swallow test. I could have told them that because I feel something there when I can manage to swallow. I am having arm pain weakness tingling etc, so I suspect nerve compression. I am trying to figure out if the vagus nerve is still on the backside of the esophagus at that location. I guess my hope is that I have two sets of nerves getting compressed and a solution.
I had a brain and neck MRI done Friday. I am hoping that my idea is confirmed. I have been dealing with this for a short 8 months, but long enough to lose 25lbs on an already slim build. I am also a builder so the day to day is tough.
I am convinced that if I can just get back to eating, at least my spirits would pick up and I would have more energy.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Steviesteph. Look up. You will figure it out. You can be in good spirits, even in the trouble. The frustration is understandable, just do not let it get the best of you.
Robin,  I don't know if you will ever check back for an answer to your comment to me from 2011 but will post this in case you do and for anyone who is interested.  I have struggled with the vagally-mediated atrial fibrillation since my last post here (2009?)  It has gotten some worse, with my time in a-fib about 25% of the time.  Often the triggers are related to physical activity that stresses my vagus nerve near my stomach area.  Other times, a-fib just comes on because it is that time of the cycle.  The longest that I go without an episode is maybe 2 weeks, which is rare.  Three weeks ago I had a catheter ablation done to remove the 'short circuit' paths in my heart atria that are allowing a-fib.  I have been told that to have a-fib your heart must be susceptible to a circulating electrical signal in the atria and you need to have a trigger, be it the vagus nerve or some other physical cause.  So the ablation should stop the circulating paths and prevent a-fib.  So far I have not seen any improvement in the time spent in a-fib but it can take 3 months for the healing of the inflammation on the lesions that were made during the procedure.  I will probably still feel the flutters from the vagus nerve but should not have any more a-fib episodes if the ablation is successful.  My advice is for your boyfriend to see an electrophysiologist soon.  He can try the anti-arrhythmic drugs like I did, but if they don't help I suggest the ablation procedure.  Actually there is quite a bit of documentation that shows that the ablation is much more successful and safer than drug therapy.  I wish him the best.
For two weeks, I have been thru a nightmare....three ER trips, two in an ambulance, several times to doctor and a two-day stay in the hospital this week. I thought I was dying a couple times.  Severe tingling in lips, feet and hands...even became brain-numb three times.  Then, at the hospital, they decided I had anxiety and treated me with a beta blocker to slow the heart and for anxiety ( bad diagnosis) which began another nightmare. I weaned myself off the beta blocker and started Clonidine along with my Lisinnipril. I take 10mg of it plus .1 Clonidine every twelve hrs.  Tingling episodes almost gone, meds keep racing heart in check. Weak, exhausted but stirred a bit today to start getting strength back.  After doing research, and after evaluating all symptoms, and after a neurologist mentioned some nervous system involvement, I began to suspect the Vagus nerve.  I would get worse every time I ate, especially if I ate more than a very small amount or especially if I ate sweets. Then, I found this forum....bingo!  I plan to educate some doctors!    
I have a nearly identical story to yours, and am wondering what the last few years have shown for you and whether you have gotten any resolution?
Just signed up after researching why I am feeling so badly. Seem to trace it to the Vagus Nerve after reading all (or most ) of the above comments. My symptoms are similiar to everyones.  I was diagnosed last year with pre-diabetes, HB, and HC.  I have since gone off all meds.  I am not big on popping pills and my #'s are better too. . I think I made my Dr's mad cuz I keep wanting to find the cause as well as a solution. Right now I have incredibly loud pulsing in my ear (it switchs from left to right by the minute), hard heartbeat and heavy chest, left arm keeps going numb and tingly.. When I lay down my upper chest and arms begin this internal vibration. It starts between 10-15minutes after getting in bed.I just had an endoscopy done with no issues and have seen enough cardio dr's to last me awhile. I sometimes have so much bloating I look 9 months preg and I get a pain that wraps all around my mid section and my back. I had my gallbladder checked with no problems.  I am going to try the magnesium as well as  meditations and avoid wheat.  I don't want to try too many changes or I wont know which is helping so I am sure I am looking at months of finding some relief or cause.  I also have issues with joint pain.  I tried taking yoga a few yrs ago but it actually made me feel achier I also couldn't do some of the bending moves cuz sometimes I feel this weird feeling under my left side under left rib like I am stuck and can't rise up again.  It hurts like a muscle pull and takes a minute to release. Thank You for any thoughts or comments.
I have similar symptoms to you. It is driving me crazy at the moment. But mine seems to come from a movement of the neck. And I get the dizzy the heart pounding and need to emprty bowel immediately. Have you ever hurt your neck/head? My GP told me this week that it could not be vagus nerve as it is too deep but I experience all the symptoms some times. Heart, voice, gurgling in throat, I had been doing so well and this is a set back - very fed up at the moment.
It was a complete mystery to me and my doctor why I was in so much pain. She wanted to conduct several tests, thought maybe I had an ulcer. I'm so happy I told my B.E.S.T. practitioner about this b/c she right away nailed what was wrong with me and did a manual adjustment w/ her had. Basically stuck her fingers in my stomach and flicked it over, it was very painful BUT the pain went away...finally some relief from months of sharp stabbing pain that made me feel like I was someone's voodoo doll. I still get pain once in a while, usually when I wake up and lay in bed too long. Once I get up it goes away. I have other "strange" symtoms (symptoms) that I think are corralated to a root problem I haven't been able to identify yet. Other symtoms (symptoms) include insomnia, daily neck tension headaches, lump in my throat feeling, heart palps, generall joint pain (neck/arms/hands/feet) pain in my uppper/back of arms and side of thighs when touched, RLS & chronic fatigue. I was thinking it was maybe fibromyalgia?? Maybe family history of parkinsons has anything to do with nerve pain?? Any thoughts on a root cause?
I have suffered with most if these symptoms of the vagus nerve but now have had almost a complete cure and I swore that if I found what worked I would spread the news so you too can get your life back.  First if all, quit the caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, fatty foods, and starchy foods. Read the article below and get the supplements and follow the directions.  (Mostly the licorice root works the best for me.). And also try a dill pickle at night.  Quit the antacids!  Good luck!  I am going to now enjoy a glass of wine that I can do once in a while again without problems!  No more heart trouble or pain!  Yeah!  Oh did I mention exercise?  Exercise too as much as you can fit in!  It all helps!  Good luck and God bless!

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2006/dec2006_report_stomach_01.htm
    I too began having this problem. Exceedingly scary. I discovered that taking probiotics help immensely. Eating yogurt, including frozen yogurts is very beneficial. I also take Natrol, a probiotic. There are many brands to choose from. Culturelle is a big one alongside Natrol etc.
   I also discovered that chewing your food very well, and drinking water intermittently while eating helps a great deal. I have learned that if I go without eating anything for several hours that when I do finally eat and then it is a significant amount, that that is when I am in the most danger of having these scary symptoms. I also take Apple Cider Vinegar tablets on occasion and Anti Gas pills when I do get the symptoms and effects we have all come to dread. Moving around seems to help lessen the intensity also. I can not stress taking probiotics and eating yogurt enough. I have also found  relief by taking Hemp Oil. The non THC kind like Nutiva. I thank the Lord, Jesus Christ as I believe He guided me to find the above things I have mentioned that work.  
has anyone tried AtlasProfilax treatment for this? this sounds amazing. very few practitioners though.

http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/cranial-nerves-vagus-nerve-digestion-atlas-profilax.190804/

also check out allergyantidotes.com, the work of sandi radomski. you can use an inexpensive soft laser to treat food reactions that are probably vagus nerve related. there are other modalities as well that don't use a laser. for $177 you can get the laser and manual. i've gotten a lot of relief. http://www.allergyantidotes.com/etox_lasers.htm
I go through same things and like you my one leg happens to be shorter than the other...If you'd like to chat please let me know...Thanks

Ben
I have been experiencing stomach and anxiety problems for the past year and a half and I am becoming convinced that my vagus nerve is overactive.  I made the mistake of receiving a flu shot five years ago because I use public transport in a major city and was concerned about becoming infected during wintertime.  I had some kind of reaction to the shot that made me pass out and when I regained consciousness, my heart was in a-fib.  I was cardioverted back into a normal heartbeat and was told after three days of exams that I had no damage to any of my organs.

Ever since then, however, I have seemed prone to muscle spasms in my back, chest, and shoulders.  After reading various articles on the vagus nerve since then, I am led to believe that the shot or whatever reaction I had to it triggered something in my brain to make the vagus nerve hypersensitive or simply not behave properly.  More recently, I began experiencing anxiety attacks and these spasms have become more frequent and intense.  I cannot sit for long periods of time on a chair or hard seat in one position, as my chest or diaphragm muscles will tighten or twitch.  When walking after sitting for entire day at work, it feels like muscles are tying up in knots inside of body, as if they might be wrenched apart, yet I don’t feel pain.

Anxiety attacks also run in my family, as my mother and her mother also have experienced this.  I have experienced four over the last 2-3 months but seem to have them under control, at least for now.  I am in dilemma where I’m not sure if this is all anxiety related, or if I have anxiety coupled with some other muscular injury.

My biggest concern, however, is the change in my digestive system.  For much of last year, I was having severe constipation that would sometimes last for three or four days.  I made modifications to my diet such as high fiber intake to improve my bowel movements but I have also dealt with severe stomach acid.  Previously, I could feel the acid laying inside of my stomach and would feel nauseous.  That has improved, but I still have burning gums, a bitter taste in my mouth, and an irritated throat, probably from the acid climbing up my esophagus.

The past two or three months, after having a lot of problems with my home over the winter, I began experiencing chest tightness after eating lunch or dinner.  It feels as if the walls of my chest are closing up and I will feel tension in my shoulders and back.  I had recently gotten a physical and EKG and was told that my heart is healthy, so that helps to reduce some of the panic, but it is the worst feeling imaginable.

My primary doctor referred me to a GI and I had biopsies done last week.  I am calling tomorrow for the results.  He told me right after the endoscopy that my stomach was full of acid but he could find no problem with anything in the digestive tract.  He prescribed pantoprazole until the results are looked at.  It seems to help with the gas and bloating but it doesn’t really help with the reflux.  While it’s possible that I have a bacterial infection, I’m not confident that anything will be found.  I am almost positive that the digestive issues are connected in some way to the activity of my vagus nerve, but it is shocking how little doctors know about this part of the body.  Or do they not want to know?

The chest tightness had only bothered me once over the past two weeks but it came back with a vengeance this afternoon.  I ate a beef sandwich on whole grain bread and raw mushrooms, then a small pack of chocolate chip cookies.  The beef or chocolate might have very well set off the reaction but I am sick of trying to figure out my triggers.  I have lost a lot of weight and was told by my doctor that I need to gain about 10 pounds.  I am a 36-year-old male, 5’10”, and weighed 136 pounds at the time of the physical.  I do not smoke and have never drank alcohol or taken drugs.  I need to weigh about 145 (I’m halfway there) and really don’t want to cut anything else out of my diet, regardless of whether it’s healthy or not.  I am already looking too thin and my pants with a 32 waist are already being kept up by my belt.

Some things I have found that helps – Naturally, good, nutritious food that aids in digestion like fresh fruit, yogurt, and anything with bran.  Do NOT eat fatty foods or meals late in the evening.

If you are feeling anxious, meditation is a great relief and helps you to control breathing and heart rate.  Avoid stressful situations and try to keep a positive attitude.
It sounds as though you  have an issue with bile reflux which differs significantly from acid reflux. Eating fatty foods especially late can cause reflux that can irritate both the lining of the stomach and the esophagus and cause arrhythmia symptoms. The vagus nerve runs along the digestive tract. There are medications that are very effective in controlling this problem, cholestyramine resin.

As for anxiety, you probably need magnesium including Epsom salt baths, magnesium citrate with meals. The deficiency won't show up in a standard blood test but correcting the problem will make a world of difference in how you feel. Quick fix for the anxiety attacks might be lorazepam. Check with your doctor and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Thanks for your feedback.  I called my GI today and was told that I have high levels of acid in my stomach but the biopsies he took were negative.  There is no sign of bacteria or infection.  Funny thing is, this was about an hour after I had another episode with my chest and back.  I made sure not to have the exact same thing as yesterday for lunch but my muscles felt like they were wrenching inside of me.  I guess I'll have to consult with other MDs to get this sorted.
So happy to have found this forum. You all, with your input has given me so much more knowledge than my doctor.
Who now is only interested in treating me for high cholesterol. Like most on here I have experienced the palpitations. Severe, thinking I was having a heart attack. Thankfully it proved to be nothing. Chest X-ray, heart scan, heart monitor all proved nothing. Blood test show liver, gall, kidney, thyroid functions...... All excellent. Just high cholesterol.
Doctor tells me I have anxiety. Well, if I didn't have anxiety, I sure as hell do now, because the whole situation has given it to me.
Now..... I have studied Dr Google in many forums, gathered lots of information and found a few techniques to relieve the symptoms. I don't allow myself to get hungry, because that too can bring on a bout of it. Meditation is good, though I'm bad at it. So I deliberately sit, breath with my stomach muscles telling myself in my head to relax with each breathe that I breath out slowly. But the one technique which blew me away was doing the TMJ moves on myself. It eased the palpations within minutes. I am a Bowen Therapist and decided to research my own arena for help. I still don't know what has caused it originally and the palpitations have not gone completely. But the are weaker and less frequent. I have only done these moves on myself, but intend to speak to a colleague to have an entire TMJ treatment performed.
New procedure has been approved by FDA to correct prevention of acid reflux. It allows an outpatient surgeon to insert magnets into the throat of the stomach to ensure closure when appropriate, then food forces the magnets to be open. New hope, with less complications...get on a waiting list!
Dear paul,

which path shall we take?! what was the path you mentioned in your comment above? I have the same symptoms, most of all what bothers me , is gasping for air, numbness of fingers and stiff shoulder and neck.
hope you have found a solution
As someone who took lorazapam I ask that you look into that drug.  You obviously worry about your health.  Doctors are so quick to prescribe this drug with out telling patients the side effects.  Talk to those who have been on it and tried to come off do research on it.  Talk to your doctor.  I am glad I switched doctors who took the time to not be just a doctor but a friend and cared about me as a person.  God bless
I was diagnosed with GP in March of 2009 with just mild symptoms, mainly little appetite, feeling full quickly and nausea.  In March of 2011, by accident, discovered that my top left rib was out of place, pinching the vagus nerve.  After a few PT visits, I was almost good as new. On occasion that rib would pop back up, the symptoms would return and then PT would put it back into place and off I'd go.  I feel for those of you who have had this far longer and far worse than me.  I never had the heart problems, palpations that you do, unless I ate too much.  I would just get pressure in my chest cavity.  Where am I going with this, you ask?  About three months ago, I started having chest pressure/pain toward the left side of my chest.  Constant pressure, 24/7.  I am physically fit, teach fitness and run.  When engaging in exercise, the heart would pound with much more force, not necessarily faster, just harder, like there isn't enough room for it to beat and I had a hard time with cardio, couldn't get enough air and recovery was much longer.  A few of my GP symptoms returned as well, but not too bad.  When I eat, the pressure in my chest gets worse.  But again, no palpations, fast heart beat, in fact, my heart rate is usually in mid to low 40's.  Rib is not out of place.  Do any of you have the chest pressure/tightness all the time??  Have had numerous tests….EKG, Echo, Chest CT, X-rays, Nuclear Heart test, Breathing test, Barium Swallow…all ok.  Would a MRI show anything these other tests have not? such as a mass or tumor pressing on heart/lungs?  again, these symptoms are 24/7….if i do not exercise for a few days, it gets better, but when i exercise, then it gets worse and feels like my heart is "bruised", quite painful.  Any thoughts?? I am not anxious, anxiety meds didn't do anything.  Would an MRI be a good idea?  Thank you all so much and God bless all of you…..
I'm a sufferer and mine is not too bad as I have found ways to keep it in check and even eliminate it for long periods, here's what I know will help it.

Do cardio exercise, as much as you can. When muscles tighten due to inactivity the nerve becomes stressed.

Also yoga stretching will keep it at bay , especially keeping the neck area well stretched, constantly. HINT: Inversion I have found is highly useful, if your GP is okay with it use an inversion table, it will change your life.

Keep acid reflux in check with peppers(capsicum), baking soda or a new but very effective thing called heil aarde. Peppers get my preference due to their overall medicinal qualities. Or else take a drug for the acid.

Keep your shoulders still while breathing. It goes to the belly. Breathing methods to employ are the Buteyko method since this condition is DEFINITELY anxiety related.  

Meditation is also a highly affective way to appease the nerve and people shouldn't debunk meditation, the science community has spoken on this. Meditation techniques which are highly effective for this are Da Silva method and the Open Heart meditation (Irmansjah Effendi's).

Remember, different strokes for different folks, my medicine may be your poison but some of them are pretty universal, and.......don't worry so much about it, that help too  :-)
very helpful. In hospital 3 days and every test under the sun and MRI, ct, cloud sonograms all good. but I had vague stuff and heart palpitations before so I think that's what it is. I am being sent home bc Drs don't know what else it might be. I'll go home and get back on my regular things like you mentioned and I bet this will go away. it stinks when it's happening, though. thanks for your input
Viewing 201 comments: