Gastroenterology Community
Very Noisy Stomach

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Very Noisy Stomach

I have a problem with my bowls / stomach / abdomen, which causes an unpleasant amount of discomfort and noise. The problem started 3 years ago during my study of A levels, I cannot recall an obvious trigger to this problem, but has become increasingly worse over the 3 years. It affects me so much that the embarrassment from the noises and discomfort have reduced my social life to literately nothing, and will soon cause me to drop out of University.

I Enjoy university ALOT and do not wish to leave anytime soon, especially for the reason that "my stomach rumbles and squelches". I have researched alot into this subject and tried many different techniques and medications to calm my problem, and also seen many doctors, all of which have had no effect on my problem.

I can only describe the problems i get so well, there are three major types of noise and discomfort i feel, the first is the feel of hunger, a build up of gas in my stomach. I feel incredibly bloated and my stomach seems to rumble, feeling and sounding like hunger. This can happen just after eating, but mainly 2-3 hours after eating.

The second type i get happens further down and usually takes place after i wake up and have breakfast. I usually eat cerals for breakfast, it sounds like a wet squelching noise just above my hips and feels like my muscles are "vibrating" as i feel liquid pass through, this is incredibly noisy and uncomfortable. I usually attempt to wake up 2 hours before i have to be some where to eat my breakfast so i can be on my own when this "phase" of the day happens, but this very rarely solves my problem, and often leads to me getting hungry fast before my lecture is over, resulting in the problem above.

The third type of sound and discomfort i get is most likely the worst as im yet to find anything to cause or affect it. The feeling is almost like i am passing wind, but in my lower back, after this happens i do not feel like i need to pass wind from my bottom. This continues to happen multiple times every 5 minuets or so for sometimes 2 hours, this makes ALOT of noise.

From those three different types of wind or noise i get i hope you can relate to this and maybe help recommend the next step for me to solve this problem. On top of the three major problems i have is a constant feel of gas passing from my stomach through my bowels, this is noisy, constant, uncomfortable and feels unavoidable. It sometimes feels like the left side of my abdomen inflates with air like a bubble.

Any help is very much appreciated, sorry for the read
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  First off I would recommend you start seeing a therapist.  You seem to have a lot of embarrassment about this and you might be able to overcome some of this embarrassment with the help of a therapist.  Have you tried a food diary/food elimination diet?  I would recommend eliminating 100% of all lactose from your diet for 2 weeks to see if that helps.  Also, can you please list all of the tests you have had and all of the medications/techniques you have tried?