Aa
A
A
Close
Villous Adenoma in my duodenum
I had a tubular adenoma diagnosed early 2012 in my duodenum.  An doctor tried removing it several times endoscopically.  The last biopsy late last Oct. revealed a villous adenoma with high grade displaysia.  He tried to remove it one more time, but was unsuccessful due to scar tissue.  It is extremely small, not even measured in centimeters.  I was referred to a surgeon for the whipple.  I have since gotten a couple more opinions.  Two hospitals believe it is high grade displaysia, one saying there were no signs of high grade displaysia.  The one reporting no signs of high grade displaysia s a leading cancer hospital.  They want to take a wait and see approach since I developed acute pancreatitis as a result of my ERCP's.  The lastest opinion I received suggested a laproscopic ampullectomy.  No other doctors even discussed this option with me.  What do you think?  As it stands now, I am scheduled to go back to the cancer hospital mid- Feb. for another biopsy.  
Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. If the biopsy is suspicious of cancer, a surgery would be required; and if a laproscopic surgery has not been successful, an open surgery is usually advised. Well, if I were in your situation with 2/3 pathologists describing the biopsy report as dysplasia, I would rather go ahead with the surgery rather than taking the risk of not having one just in case it turns out to be benign.
                   I am not sure how far would a laproscopic ampulectomy be successful in removing the adenoma with adequate margins; while if it is an option worth considering, I would suggest getting a second opinion from another gastroenterologist/ gastrosurgeon, preferably at a university/ teaching hospital for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
1711789 tn?1361311607
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank