Gastroenterology Community
Vomiting Induced Injury?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Vomiting Induced Injury?

Hello-
Ive had this problem for over 1 month now... It all started when I went out to a party with some friends. I drank too much at the party, and hadn't eaten much of anything all day and ended up getting very sick. I wound up spending probably an hour and a half throwing up in the toilet. I remember retching so hard while vomiting that I thought "I bet I'm going to burst a blood vessel in my eye" from straining so hard. The vomiting eventually turned to dry heaves, and the retching was truely very forceful. I have never thrown up so 'hard' before in my life..

After the bout with the vomiting I went to bed and woke up the next day with the muscles in my ribs sore from heaving. Then the following day (24 hours post vomiting) I had this sensation of a lump in my throat. There is no physical lump that can be palpated, but it feels as if something is stuck there. Its incredibly uncomfortable, but I've noticed that it fluctuates in severity of discomfort (although it hasn't gone away completely at any time). Also, when its at its worst I feel the 'lump' in my throat, and also a feeling as though the muscles in my throat are very tight. Its really remarkably similar to feeling emotionally choked up-- This generally occurs later on in the day with me, and there is absolutely no emotional tie to the feeling.

So my question: is it possible to somehow strain or injure the muscles of the esophagus while vomiting? And if so, what are the manifestations, and most importantly WHEN can I expect relief?

I've been seeing an ENT, and we started with Nexium to alleviate any heartburn I may be having.It didn't really do much, so we did an esophogram. The esophogram ruled out reflux and ruled out hiatel hernia. Next up is a CT of the neck to rule out any mass. The esophogram revealed "an asymmetrical effacement of the left vallecula and puriform sinus of uncertain significance. A mass cannot be ruled out."
Further details: I am able to eat fine for the most part, although sometimes I feel like I need to swallow twice. Eating seems to relieve symptoms, but I think that may be because the feeling of having something in your throat while swallowing is natural. I have noticed alcohol consumption, even in very small amounts exacerbates the problem, as does using my voice in extreme ways (ie: shouting, high pitch, etc.)

Many thanks,
Ryan
I'm definitely no expert on your vomiting situation, so good thing the docs are checking you out thoroughly.  But it sounds a little to me like (a) you've corroded your throat and vocal cords from all that acidic vomit, maybe even injured it by what you expelled from your stomach, or (b) you've strained some muscles in your throat and they're bunched up.  

I am assuming the esophogram is like a sonogram, radio waves.  Seems to me, they ought to put a scope down your throat and visually look and see if there's some scarring or torn or patchy places along the muscosal lining, indicating corrosion or downright injury.  Then they could give you something soothing and healing for your throat.  While you wait for the docs, if your throat is roughed up, swallow honey right off the spoon a couple times a day, and eat nothing but a soft diet for a week (mashed potatoes, bread with the crust cut off, milk, no more than 4 oz of juice daily, cream of wheat cereal, melons, spagetti).  Don't put anything hot or alcoholic down your throat.

Now, the strained muscles is an equal possibility, and it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post, especially where the exam reported possible mass.  Could be you goofed up your neck muscles, like a person gets bunched up muscles in the shoulders and neck, to where they are so stiff, the hardness and knots can be felt.  So, do for your throat muscles the same way you do when your shoulders get stiff.  Gently massage your neck and throat, including where the jaw and ears are, especially any spot that is tough-feeling or knotted up, do that for just a few days.  At the same time, for a week, apply a very warm and well-wrung washrag around the front of your neck, let the heat do its work, several times a day.  Lay on the floor with your legs up in a chair, ease your head and neck down with your hands clasped behind, then let your arms fall out to the side.  This takes all the pressure off the spinal muscles, thus relaxing any strained ones in your neck.

Might not have just been alcohol that made you throw up so hard; could be you had some food poisoning, too.  All that's over now, just letting you know.  If you'll modify the way you eat and do some physical therapy to your neck, both for about a week, it can't hurt, and it might make your throat feel better until the doctors can figure out what is wrong.
Acidic vomit could cause inflammation in your throat which can result in a 'mass' which really is there but it can't be palpated from outside and it is hard to be checked with any test, since it is more like swelling. Problems with the voice go well with acid injury. (It is also possible that a part of a vomit stuck in those vallecula and it produces constant inflammation. But your ENT probably have looked there already I guess).

Diagnose of hiatal hernia means you have possible constant leak of acid from your stomach up to your throat. In short term, anti-acid drugs, should help, but ask your doctor how severe is hiatal hernia, can it be spontaneously improved, and if not, what can be done to permanently solve this. One option are permanently taking anti-acid drugs, other is one small operation.
Hey whatever happened with all of this? I feel the same way to the T and from the same thing to? Please get back
I have exact same situation.  I would be curious to find out what happened.