Gastroenterology Community
Vomiting after each meal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Vomiting after each meal

I am 24 and I had my gallbladder removed two months ago.  The day of the surgery I was miserable.  I expected pain and discomfort, but felt worse than I could have ever imagined.  I was not able to eat more than a saltine cracker for the first three days.  About a week after the surgery, I began having pain in my upper right quadrant as well as vomiting after meals occassionally.  About a month after the surgery, I was prescribed Zofran, Colestipol, and Protonix.  I have still been getting progressively worse.  I now vomit after after meal, often it is partially digested food immediately after eating and then what seems like pure bile about an hour to two hours after eating.  I now vomit after drinking just water sometimes, as well.  

I have had to go to the emergency room for dehyrdation from the vomiting and while there they did several blood tests and mentioned that my lipase levels were elevated and I should mention that to my surgeon.  At my last appointment, my surgeon said the elevated lipase is not a big deal but  recommended I see a Gastroenterologist for the vomiting. I was unable to get an appointment any sooner than 3 weeks.  I am completely miserable.  I am losing a substantial amount of weight.  I barely have enough energy to make it through work during the week and I go to bed by 6pm every night-- even 12 hours of sleep isn't enough.  I can rarely keep any food down, and can only keep liquids down about once a day.  I used to be an avid runner, but now after about 3 minutes on the road, I'm throwing up and just want to curl up in bed and cry.  Is there anything I can do before my appointment for some relief?  Also, am I crazy or is possible that the pain has kind of switched sides?!  Originally it hurt in my upper right area all the time, now that hurts occasionally, but usually the pain is on my left side or right above my belly button.  Are there any tests or diagnosis I could suggest at my appointment when I finally get to see the doctor.  After being shrugged off for two months, I want to go in there with information.  My family is so far away that I've been going through this alone and am starting to worry that I will feel like this for the rest of my life.
Tags: vomiting, bile
Mandy, this sounds as though you're not only suffering from continuing issues with your now 'non-existent' gallbladder, but it also sounds like you may have a case of pancreatitis.

You surgeon said the lipase wasn't important??? You've got to be kidding, although I know you're not. You need to try to push that surgeon to get you in to see someone before 3 weeks from now.

Please make a pest out of yourself with the surgeon, and get a referral to someone who can see you earlier. You want to have your liver and pancreatic enzymes tested, at the very least. In addition, they should be checking your for SOD, sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It's a condition that can occur after surgery and may be due to stones or sludge that was in the gallbladder that may have entered the common bile duct during the GB removal.

When you call the surgeon, ask him/her if you can at least get something like questran to try to control the bile and carafate to coat your stomach.

If necessay and if it's the only way to be seen, and if you have a good doc at home, you may want to travel back home. And you want to push your doc at home to get you in to see a GI doc now, not 3 weeks from now. If part of what is going on is pancreatitis, that's not something to take lightly. It could prove to have an impact on your health - long term - and that's not a good thing.