Gastroenterology Community
Vomiting during Bowel Movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Vomiting during Bowel Movement

Many times when I have a bowel movement, I feel the urge to vomit.  Sometimes I can stave it, by deep breathing and continuous swallowing, but sometimes it can't be thwarted, and the vomiting occurs.  It is usually in the morning, when all I've taken in is coffee.  What is the correlation, and should I be concerned?
The coffee could be acting as an irritant to you gastric system, as well as inducing an urge to have a bowel movement. Try discontinuing the coffee and see if it makes a difference in the way your upper digestive system reacts.
I also have this problem except I do not drink coffee. It does not seem to matter what I eat or drink when this occurs.

Do you have severe pain in the top of your stomach just before you vomit? Just below your breast plate where each half of the rib cage meets together there is a pointy bone called the zyphoid process. The pain would be directly below the zyphoid process about a half inch almost as if the zyphoid were poking the stomach itself causing pain and eventually vomiting.

I have suffered with these exact symptoms for 7 years and they have progressively gotten worse. It hit's mostly in the morning when I first wake up but I get into super hot water before the vomiting starts and the pain stops within 120 seconds. I take my tramadol (100 mg), float in the water and within 30 miinutes I'm good to go!! However if I don't get to the hot water and if the vomiting starts it won't quit and I mean 8 days won't quit.

For me..... hot water and tramadol allows me to live a normal life. At least give the hot water a try and let me know what happens with you. But remember, not luke warm!!!!
hot hot hot hot !!!!!!!!!!! As hot as you can possibly stand and a bath works alot better than a shower.

***@****
I have had the same problems which has increased recently.  For me it can happen anytime of day, no matter what I've eaten or drank.  Try keeping a diary of dates and times along with what you've had  to drink/eat that day.  It seems to be a lot more conviencing for the specialist when they see it in writing. If it stops once you stop the coffee, then you're in luck!
So I am having these same pains everyone says I'm pregnant but I don't feel that way. I get really sick in the.morning and throughout the day and it either during a bowel movement or even urinating. I have no appitite because of the nausia. I was just wondering what you were diagnosed with?
Thank you.
I have stomach aches and abdominal distension. I had hernia surgery using teflon mesh many years ago. now I have pain at the right side of my abdomen. I have also been diagnosed with gastritis. the fact that my abdomen blows up like I'm pregnant, what is it?
sometimes when I feel like I need to have a bm i too get nauseated but what is worse for me I almost feel like a chemical is released in me and I get a scared confused feeling. when i describe to docs they say sounds like you are having panic/anxiety attacks. after seeing many many specialist over past two years I have given up on them really understanding. I know this all started at the same time i started going through menopause. couple reasons i have trouble with the panic-anxiety diag is as soon as i have a b/m it starts going away. also i just don't have any worries that would bring this type of diag. the only real worry i have is living with this and a fear it could get worse or a bigger fear of this feeling coming and staying. that i do fear because when it is happening i just get beside myself and think oh god i do not want to live like this!!!
I had these problems [loss of appetite, generally feeling sick but I also had very uncomfortable and even sickening gas.. then finally the full on nausea and vomiting with a bowel movement... I know this is personal and quite gross but I also suffered from an anal fissure at the same time [they are incredibly terrible!] and none of it is getting better yet.

I was diagnosed with a parasite i think it was called blastis homonis. apparently a lot of people have it and it is transmitted in untreated rainwater. most people have no symptoms but others like me are quite unlucky! I have been treated for it twice with strong antibiotics - which is because there has not been research to find a proper treatment because most people don't suffer. however after being treated for it twice it appears to be back for a third time and much worse.

I really dont know what else to do!! Back to the doc to see if that is really it or if i have some intolerance or allergy. If I find anything out I will try to let people know - it might get someone closer to fixing their problem as well!

Good luck to everyone
I had something very similar awhile ago. I felt the urge to go but didn't and ended up vomiting instead. I don't know whether it was connected or not but I did discover I had an intolerance to caffeine. I got to the point where I refused to eat because it seemed like I vomited after everything I ate. Then I worked out I had regularly two or more cups of caffeinated coffee every morning. Cutting these out, stopped the vomiting. Bliss! Now, I'm careful how much caffeine I consume. I always drink decaf coffee but can tolerate lucozade. Too much pepsi or coke produces the classic intolerance symptoms.
I have idiopathic gastro paresis.. meaning the docs don't know why but the neuropath from my brain to my stomach has ceased to know how to digest any food.  I am fed through a feeding tube 12 hours a day getting all my nutrition and water.  This has been for about 6 years, I am 55 yrs. old.  Recently I have started VIOLENTLY throwing up when I am having a bowel movement and I don't know if it is connected or a separate diagnosis.  

I little worried, will call the doc in the morning.

Belinda, from Seattle