Gastroenterology Community
Waking up feeling sick

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Waking up feeling sick

Every night I wake up feeling clammy then my stomach starts to get upset, this morning was really bad and I took some Pepto.  Been under the care of a GI doctor but am getting worse daily.  Why does a person wake up feeling sick every day?  I am eating light, no appetite, and losing weight.  I feel miserable and lots of tests have been done
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include stress/ anxiety, low blood sugar, low/ high blood pressure, hormonal/ endocrine abnormalities, gastritis, GI infections/ inflammations, medication side effect etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you. I think I have had about every test done and have mentioned this to my GI doctor and he really doesn't address it.  I have been nauseated all day today.
I contacted my Endocronologist and all she said was that it wasn't my thyroid. Aren't they the doctors that test hormone and endocrine issues?
You don't want to come to my area and get sick!
Hi! I'm 16 and I was experiencing the same thing.  My symptoms were always the most severe at night. Two months ago I was diagnosed with severe gastroparesis, which is slow emptying of the stomach. It can cause pain, GERD, severe nausea and vomiting. Ask your GI doctor about the gastric emptying study, which is the test for this. It's fairly simple, compared to other things. You eat an egg sandwich with radioactive dye, and the monitor the rate at which it leaves your stomach. Until you can get a diagnosis, try to eliminate fat and fiber from your diet. Any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thank you for the suggestion.  I actually had that test done some time ago.
I recently had a Barastat/Motility study done and don't want to do that again.  I had to go out of the area as they don't do those here. Have not seen the Specialist yet but my GI doc here had the preliminary report we discussed yesterday.  Seems I have cramping, or something, in my esophagus (though I have no symptoms there) and in my stomach.  Guess they treat this with BP drugs that my GI doc here is not thrilled about due to my problems with medication and my BP is usually low as it is.  Not sure how we are going to handle this.