Gastroenterology Community
Waking up with sharp upper abdominal pain...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Background - bariatric bypass 3 1/2 years ago. Gallbladder removed due to it not releasing bile normally and having attacks 11 Mar 2008.

Starting about April 2008 I started waking up in the middle of the night with pain that started as a burn and would spike quickly to a stabbing pain dead center of the abdomen - about 2 fingers below my sternum. It would last about 5 minutes (thank goodness as the pain was unbearable) and then just be achy and about 50% of the time my intestinal track would go into over drive. Would go for a month w/o one and then have a couple in a row, and then skip a month. In Aug I told my PCP and he figured an ucler - tried Protonix - had 5 attacks in 7 days - stopped it. Saw my surgeon in Sept. Also thought an ucler. Told me to avoid chocolate & decaf coffee and drink Maalox 4x a day for 6 weeks. Had more attacks around Thanksgiving and then in Mid-December had my first that started after eating. One lasted an hour that actually started as I was eating. Saw the surgeon again, put on Protonix and had blood work. Results came back positive for h. pylori & pancreatitis. 14 days of Biaxin & Flagyl. Add another attack the last day of the meds. Continue to have them - about 15 in the last month, but except for once, the attacks have been just "1/2' attacks - burn, but no stabbing. Saw a GI specialist on the 11th. More bloodwork and a MRCP. MRCP results came back today - no sign of stones in the bile ducts. Now having endoscopy of the stomach.

Anyone had similiar issues, similiar test results, that can help me know where else to have the doctors look?
I'm really sorry that you are suffering.  I'm not a doctor and I know next to nothing about this stuff but I'm learning through my own illness.  Your symptoms could be SO many things including Post-Cholecystectomy Syndrome, Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction, Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth, pancreatitis, etc.  

The upper endoscopy is an easy procedure.  The worst part is the noxious spray to freeze your throat.  Take as much as you can to get it good and frozen.  It's disgusting!  Consider yourself warned.  

There are a few less invasive tests such as the Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) and MRCP-S (Secretin) which can image the whole area including pancreas and ductal system.  An ERCP is much more invasive and cannot provide him with a diagnosis unless they use manometry to measure pressure levels.  These would at least give you a diagnosis.

I belong to a support group [SODP] that is wonderful.  To find it, search the web for Yahoo! groups.  Once you have the page where you can search the Yahoo! groups, search or "sphincter".  There are about five of them.  Only two of them are really worth joining.  Michele's [Sphincterofoddi_pancreatitis] is by far the best as she is a registered nurse and an uncommonly kind, empathetic and supportive woman.  Maddi's [sphincterofoddi-pancreatitis1] is wonderful, too.  Just put in a request to join and within a day or two, they'll let you know that you've been accepted.  Hopefully, if you join, you'll say "Hi" to me there?

Let us know how you make out?

Good luck and Godspeed,

Sam