Gastroenterology Community
Waves of intense pain in upper abdomen
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Waves of intense pain in upper abdomen

About 6 years ago I had an EGD.  They found a hiatus hernia, gastritis in the lower part of my stomach, a little blood vessel that "leaks" and erosion of both esophagus and stomach lining.  I've experienced many types of abdominal pain and over the past 14 years.  

For the past several days my stomach has been in severe pain.  The pain is not the same as what I've gotten used to over the years.  They are more like waves of pain, start somewhat dull, then grow to an intense stabbing/burning, then gradually decreases in intensity.  These waves can last anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes.  There is generally only about a minute of relief until the next one hits.  It isn't a completely constant attack, it will disappear for an hour or two then i get bombarded with the next series of waves.  I normally have a really high tolerance for pain, but as each wave comes to its peak, it almost has me in tears.  Is it possibly just a new type of pain I'm experiencing due to one of the issues I've had for many years?