Gastroenterology Community
Weaning off of Prevacid after surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Weaning off of Prevacid after surgery

I underwent a Nissen Fundoplication surgery for GERD and a hiatal hernia about a month ago and was told to continue taking Prevacid for a while while I'm healing.  How long should I wait to try to wean myself off of the Prevacid for good, and what's the best way to do this?  I've been on Prevacid for about 7 years and before that I was on Ranitidine for 3 years.  I've tried coming off of the Prevacid a few times since the surgery and have experienced severe heartburn each time, although I tried again today and took 150mg of Ranitidine after the heartburn started and it has gradually and mostly subsided.  I've heard of decreasing the Prevacid to every second day - would it be effective to take Prevacid and Ranitidine on alternating days and gradually move the doses of Prevacid further apart until I'm off of it?  Ideally I'd like to be free of any of GERD medications.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers