Gastroenterology Community
Weight gain after gallbladder removal
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weight gain after gallbladder removal

I had my gallbladder removed almost 3 years ago. I was 23 years old and weighed about 120-125 lbs. Before the removal, I had many attacks (especially after eating dairy products) and had constant gastro problems (heartburn, IBS). I was a constant junk food eater, late night snacker, drank about 6 cans of mountain dew a day, ate lots of sugary foods, barely exercised, and drank alcohol several times a week. I am now 26 years old and weigh 135lbs. I have never gained weight like this and had it stay. I don't eat as much junk, still eat late night snacks, maybe have one can of soda a day, cut down on the candy, try to go to the gym 2-3 times a week, and drink alcohol a few times a month. I don't understand why I can't lose this weight (it's all in my stomach area). I tried a colon cleanse last week to see if it would help and I actually gained a few pounds. Also I have rare attacks of heartburn and my IBS is better. I have concluded that the above is due to my gallbladder removal. During my 3 days in the hospital I lost at least 10-15 lbs because I could not eat or drink. It is now almost 3 years later and I have gained that back with an additional 10-15 lbs. Is my lack of gallbladder my problem? Even though I do eat better I do eat junk on a more consistent basis because I feel better after eating. But I still don't overindulge to the point where this weight would be gained and stay on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.