Gastroenterology Community
Weird Gasping Hiccups Daily...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Weird Gasping Hiccups Daily...

I get these weird gasping for air/hiccups (its like the first part of a hiccup most of the time, just a feeling to get air, I don't feel it coming on or really anything, just a light feeling to hiccup but comes out sounding like a large gasp of air). Every single time I eat or drink anything it happens and usually anywhere between 5-15 times each time I eat depending on how much. Also, even when I don't eat I get them. It's been happening for a while now, I don't know if I could say a year but more than 6 months.

I did have GERD as a baby and had a nisenfundiplication (sp?) when I was 18 months and have had no problems that I know of since then. I don't usually ever feel heart burn/acid reflux.

I also was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in October 2010. My A1c is down to 6.0 which is great so it shouldn't be a diabetes related thing, even if it was I wouldn't know how it could.

Also I had been having UTI symptoms for a while and it finally got pretty bad that I went to the clinic and they did a culture on my urinalysis. Well, supposedly, that was in April but I'm just finding out that there WASN'T bacteria in my urine which means it wasn't a UTI and that there was red and white blood cells.

My primary doctor that told me this over the phone (I don't live there anymore) casually mentioned there is a small chance I could have a cyst in my bladder that is pressing up on everything in my abdomen and that is causing the off-set hiccups via my diaphragm. Also, the UTI symptoms (sudden urge to go to the bathroom, blood in my urine at a really bad bout in April, etc.) I also have "small" stomach, my appetite has been strange lately. Sometimes I'll forget to eat because my stomach is so weird I can eat one meal a day and snack and drink a teeny bit and be fine all day.

Anyway, do you think this may be true? I may have a cyst somewhere that is causing all of this? Or has anyone had these weird gasp hiccups before?

Any help is appreciated. I have a doctors appointment in the morning with an internal medicine doctor so hopefully it sorts out.

Thanks!
I have the same symptom.  I am a teacher and it happens while I am lecturing.  If I am chewing food the gasp ***** particles down by throat and I have a choking, coughing spell.  I am going to have a sleep apnea test Wed. 0ct. 14.  I am curious to know if I have sleeo apnea and this is a side-symptom.  It is very annoying but not devastating until I really choke. I do get embarrased when I am talking and it happens.  I have been doing it since January but it is getting more frequent. I will let you know.  Please let me know if you found out any thing.