What can cause peptic ulcer?
Hello -

I recently went to the doctor after having some troubles with stomach pain in the middle of the night for a few months and finally realizing that I might have a peptic ulcer when finally I experienced my stomach pain with an overwhelming nausea for a full day last week.  The doctor said that I was right, it does sound like I have a peptic ulcer and she prescribed me Ranitidine for 3 months to get rid of it.  I'm sure I have peptic ulcer, my symptoms are textbook.  They did not get bad however, until I started drinking a lot more soda pop last week, and thats when it really started bothering me enough to see the doctor.

I'm a 26 year old female and didn't realize that this was something I'd be getting at my age.  I have only been able to find two reasons people get peptic ulcers...H. Pylori infection and NSAID medicines.  I'm confused because I had a stool test done and blood tests, last year when  I was having some bowel troubles (IBS  which has since gone away).  I did not have H, Pylori.. and I know it's rare to contract that as an adult.  Even though I know my husband does have it.  In fact it made him sick enough to go to the emergency room when we were still dating.  I also do not frequently take any NSAID medications at all.  The doctor did not mention and I forgot to ask why I would have peptic ulcer.  Is there anything else that could be causing it?