Gastroenterology Community
What causes chronic abdominal swelling w/ upper left and right quadrant...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What causes chronic abdominal swelling w/ upper left and right quadrant pain?

I am a healthy 34yo woman with no history of major abdominal surgery.  I did have a couple of laps to remove my gall bladder and appendix.  Off and on over the last two years I have had - what the docs thought were partial bowel obstructions.  I would begin having pain in my upper left quad (in waves like labor pains) under my ribs and then it would hurt on both sides.  During these episodes, my bowel movements would become pencil thin or diarrhea and my abdomen, which is usually pretty flat, would look like I was 6 months pregnant.  CT scans were always normal, so were xrays and blood work.  After a couple of days, things would return to normal and the pain would stop.  For the last 5 weeks now, I have had the same symptoms but they are not going away.  The pain is off and on but the abdominal swelling is constant.  If I do not eat small meals, the swelling is about 3" larger than normal in my waist.  If I eat even a small meal (doesn't matter what it is) my waist increases up to 6-7 inches and will remain that way for 6-8 hours.  Unless I eat again during that time and then it just doesn't go down until I quit eating.  I do get hungry but when I eat it hurts on both sides.  Doc thought I had ulcers and put me on Nexium - been on it for 3 weeks and no change.  In 2005 I was diagnosed with IBS and put on Bentyl PRN.  I've not had an IBS flare up in over a year (this feels totally different) but I tried taking my Bentyl consistantly over a week and no change or improvements.  I am scheduled for an EGD on Tuesday but I'm scared that like the CT scan, nothing will be found and I'll still be in the same boat.  The GI doc that is doing the EGD stated he thought it could be Crohn's or IBD.  What do you think?  Has anyone else experienced these type symptoms and found the problem?  I'm frustrated, I look like I'm ready to have a baby, and I'm hurting.  Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.