Gastroenterology Community
What does an Upper GI Endoscopy feel like?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am going for my first Upper GI Endoscopy on May 20 and I am wondering if anyone here can share their experience with it.  I had an endoscopy performed by my ENT by threading the camera through my nostril and that was a little unpleasant but not too bad.  The GI doctor said that I will be given IV sedation and won't remember much.  He said sedation is necessary to relax the gag reflex.  I guess I am most curious about how I will feel afterwards.  Thank you.    
Hi - here are my recollections:-

- a needle in the arm through which is passed a sedative
- an "O" ring is placed in your mouth through which the endoscopy tube is passed after you have been sedated
- you "go to sleep" and remember nothing until:-
- you wake up after the procedure (~10-20 minutes)
- you recover in bed for 1-2 hours - but you don't feel bad at all
- you go home but are not allowed to drive a car that day

Don't worry!!

Morecambe

- the doctor inse
Thank you, Morecambe
I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done at the same time and it was a piece of cake, really! Once they put the sedative in your IV line you will be very sleepy and relaxed and fall asleep. Next thing you know they'll be helping you off the bed and telling you it's all done! I didn't remember much. They briefly talked to me but I was still pretty groggy. I went home and slept for a couple of hours and just took it easy that day. But there was no pain or discomfort at all. I do remember them putting the mouth piece in my mouth like the above poster mentioned but after they gave me the medicine I was out of it! I didn't wake up at all during the whole thing. They even had the mouth piece out of my mouth and was helping me sit up before I kinda came to. Like I said, it was a piece of cake!
I hope this helps a lttle. It's good to get these tests done sometimes to keep us healthy. Best wishes to you!
Boy you got it at both ends!  Thanks, your post does help.  I always get nervous when I haven't gone through a proceedure before. Thanks for the good wishes.  
I've had two endoscopy exams and both were *easy*.  As has been noted, they will sedate you and insert the piece in your mouth that will allow the tube to slide in, then you are out and not awake until everything is over.   This is one of the easier, more comfortable procedures I have ever had.  Good luck to you!
I am glad to hear that most of you had a pleasant experience during your endoscopy.  I on the other hand did not.  I fell asleep intially, however as soon as they started putting the camera down my throat I became aware of what was going on.  I gagged as they put the device down my throat and I tried to hit the doctor but was unable to hardly move. The nurse noticed I was somewhat awake and grabbed my hand and told me it would be alright.  However, I must say that this was one of the most uncomfortable procedures I have ever experienced.  I just laid there paralyzed, unable to do a thing.  This happened about 12 years ago and it still scares me to this day.  I am preparing for a shoulder surgery, and to say that I am nervous would be the understatement of a lifetime.  Best wishes to all.