Gastroenterology Community
What is the physical effect of Benadryl on the Digestive track and why?...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What is the physical effect of Benadryl on the Digestive track and why?

What are the physical effects of Benadryl on the Digestive track and why? I realize Benadryl's primary design is to be an Antihistamine but after taking Benadryl (about 30 min later) my stomach to my large intestine starts to work normally again for about 4-1/2 more hours until it wears off. I live with severe spasms, bloating, reflux and constipation because my track doesn't move properly, lived on laxatives for years. I just learned after taking Benadryl I get much relief from digestive issues and food begins flowing normally with all the above problems fading away and the colon starts to empty. Does anyone know what Benadryl is doing to my digestive track? Allergies! I'm a very-very allergic person so it's all possible to be food allergy related but that would mean I would be allergic to every food sold in the food store, which is unlikely. I have had allergy food testing and the allergist says I'm not allergic to these foods I regularly eat, prick, intradermal and blood allergy testing all came up negative for foods I regularly eat. I think it's more likely Benadryl is doing something else on the digestive track. Any ideas?
Well, the interesting thing about Benadryl is it CAN on occasion cause either diarrhea or constipation!  Therefore, my guess is it's giving a little diarrhea type effect.  ALSO, Benadryl can make people less anxious, make them drowsy and sleepy.  So, there's the second plus for you, it relaxes  you, and this will always make the body function more easily.

I do not think of this positive effect on your digestion as allergy-related, altho I can see why you think so.  But generally an allergy is something that does not agree with you.  Instead, I think of this Benadryl benefit as a side effect, as it is listed in rather long lists but rare lists of fairly minor side effects, which is why you can buy it over the counter.  I know people who use it regularly as a sleep aid, so I can see no harm in continuing with taking it, but obviously do not exceed the dose recomended on the box you get it in.

I had a similar thing happen with another drug.  I have no idea what it was, but I had a problem with some constipation out of nowhere.  But then, since I do take a lot of medicines, I noticed it went away, so I figured it was one of my medicines.  Recently I had all my meds changed a little, and I'm back with this stupid constipation, and am working on a daily solution to make it stop.  Husband and I have lots of solutions, and I'm working on them!

I do not know why benadryl is helping you, don't know the particular item in with the medicine, nor any other reasons other than I've given, but I think its fantastic to get relief like you have after so many years.  Keep us posted on how you're doing maybe one more post in a few weeks, just so we can keep up with the three cheers, or help you if it quits working (heaven forbid).  GG