What is wrong with my mother?
My Mom has had grey colored stools, nausea and diarhea for four months. She finally recently went to the doctor, had an ultrasound and some blood tests taken and they came back normal. Now she is scheduled for a HIDA scan. My question is what could it be? Since she isn't experiencing any pain really and her usound came back normal, aren't the chances of stones low? But if she had cancer, wouldn't her white blood cells be elevated? She is 52 years old. Can you please tell me some possibilities/probabilities of what it could be? Thanks.
When someone has a grey or whitish colored stool, it's typically a symptom of not having enough bile in the fecal material. When bile is released it's kind of a yellowy-green and as it travels throught the digestive tract, it changes to the brown color we normally associate with stool color. The HIDA scan should be done with a CCK injection. It will probably suggest that her ejection fraction is low. If that comes back and it seems to be 'normal' then have her talk to the doc about doing further tests on her liver and possibly an MRCP test.
Thanks for the info.