Gastroenterology Community
What procedures can be performed for severe nerve damage in my rectum a...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What procedures can be performed for severe nerve damage in my rectum and what can they find out with the biopsy of the erythematous mucosa that was found in my gastric atrium after an upper gi? thank you for any help. tammyjo anderson

MY questions are3 these. After an upper gi, they found erythematous mucosa in my gastric antrum. They took  a biopsy, what can the biopsy show? Also, I had an anal mamometry, and had severe nerve damage in rectum. I can poop a little, but I have been digging poop oout for over 5 yrs. because that overwhelming feeling of having to poop is still there. What can they do to repair these severly damaged nerves? I have suffered from severe abdominal pain, ulcers in my stomach and an hiatal hernia. I am desperate for a response. Thank you and God Bless! tammyjo anderson
They're looking for the presence of H. pylori, a bacterium that's implicated in GERD and gastritis. They may also be looking for the presence of other cells/substances in the gastric mucosa that might give a clue as to why you have a reddened lower portion to your stomach.

If the nerves are severely damaged or missing there may not be much they can do to change this situation around. In some cases docs will recommend removal of the portion of the colon taht is no longer functioning. The rectum can then be reattached to the remaining portion of the small/large intestine to allow for defecation.