Gastroenterology Community
What should eat if I have diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

What should eat if I have diarrhea

Terrible stomach pain when  try to drink/eat anything but I'm sure I'm getting pretty dehydrated, I'm very thirsty.  What should I start with and should I contnue even with stomach pain?
If this is due to some form of stomach virus, the typical 'prescription' is to follow a BRAT diet. So that would mean drinking tea.

Do you know waht the pain is being caused by?
My GI said to try going on a BRAT diet (I know not all docs like the diet, though I'm not sure why, maybe not enough nutriants or something?).  It's Banana's, rice, apple sauce and toast.  There good because there mostly digested high up on the GI tract (from my understanding). But I mostly ate just the apple sauce (its yummy if you warm it up just a bit) and crackers for a wile though because I felt too sick to my stomach for anything else.  Its been about a month and if just started to eat rice... still cant stomach the thought of bananas though.  Pedialight freezer pops (even though there made for kids, you can find them in the baby food isle) are also great!!!  I was eating a few of them a day to keep hydrated because gaterade was making me feel to sick.  If you can handle drinking water (i cant, make me feel sick) I discoverd "smart water" at the store, it has electolights in it so that might help you too.  I still like the kids pops better!   Hope that helps and I hope you feel better soon!

Ps: if you don't eat or drink for more then like 4 days you should go to the ER to get fluids (they can also give you something for the tummy pain) even if you think you don't need to.  LOL people had to talk me into going because I thought I would be ok.
From my understanding drinking tea isn't exactly the best thing you can drink if your having stomach problems.  Especially if its caffinated, because that can cause you to get even more dehydrated and can be a little rough on your stomach.  Although I'm sure, martebright, any fluid you can keep in is a good one at thins point...  
Oatmeal is good too