Gastroenterology Community
What to expect after total colon removal?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my colon removed and small intestine connected to the rectum. After infections and 27 days in the hospital i came home very weak. I lost 25 pounds in hospital and 10 more after coming home. I didn't eat for 3 weeks while in the hospital before they started feeding me some nutritional food through a IV. I'm now gaining weight again and eating and drinking almost normal again. My stools are frequent and liquid but with meds I can cut down the frequency. Taking metamucil 2 -3 times a day does thicken the stools. Can anyone comment on what to expect down the road with this type of surgery. Can one live a normal life again? I feel like I'm confined to the house due to the frequent bowel movements. The doctors say it will take 6 months to 1 year for the intestine to accept it's new role. Anyone experience this time frame? After 2 previous colon resections this one was so different in recovery time. Becauuse of the blockage I had when I went in to emergency they could not clean me out before the surgery and I think some of the fluids from the colon spilled inside of me causing the infection. Normally I would be out of the hospital in 3 - 5 days after surgery so I don't want to get people concerned, my infection was not a normal thing as I've had three prior colon/blockage surgeries with no problems. If anyone having this type procedure can comment on long term expectations it would be helpful. Thanks

Hi - well I can get reasonably close to your own experience - I underwent a total colectomy almost five years ago for torrential diverticular bleeding.

Have a look at a previous response I made on Medhelp to another patient who placed a similar posting.  Log on to:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

Please feel free to come back with any further questions you may have and I'll be pleased to try and help.

Good luck
Morecambe
Thanks, I've read your post you directed me to and found it to be very informative and helpful. I do have a couple of questions for you. After 4 years do you still have 6-8 bowel movements a day? Also do you feel you have control of your bowel movements at all time? Right now I don't have that control at times.Also, after your surgery could you hear liquid running throgh your bowels pretty loud at times. It seems when I have a bowel movement I hear it flowing through me getting ready for the next one to occur. It's loud enough that my wife can hear it when setting 5 feet away from me. It's kinda weird and I just was wondering if this was part of the healing process? Thanks again, I've learned more from this forum than the doctors tell you.

Rosey12

Hi again - sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I have experienced trouble logging into Medhelp.  Anyway:-

- probably I experience 4-6 #2 movements per day now
- yes I do feel as if I have control - well more or less - I guess the feeling is "when you've got to go - then you've got to go!!"  However, I have never had an accident....
- I seem to recall a gurgling within my bowels especially in the weeks after the surgery when the number of bowel movements was higher.
- if you are able to control the consistency of your motioins via the high fibre diet I suggested then the frequency will reduce as well as the liquidity - and the feeling that there is an orchestra playing within the depths of your remaining intestines!!

Good luck
Morecambe