What type of doctor do you see for a hernia?
I thought it might be a Gastroenterologist but can't seem to find much info.

My husband had one at age 19 and thinks he may have another one now.  

If anyone can help direct me to the proper type of physician that would be wonderful.

Thankyou.
Your PCP is enough, just by feeling where you think he has it, they can diagnose. Of couse confirm with a ultrasound.
Mine was repaired by a general surgeon.  My PCP referred me to him after a physical exam.
If your insurance allows, go directly to a gastroenterologist, who can diagnose a hernia and refer to a surgeon if necessary.  Two different PCPs treated me for GERD symptoms for more than 10 years and never found my hernia.  When I relocated cities and went directly to a gastroenterologist, she found the hernia right away.  She foundation a paraesophogeal hernia the size of a baseball wrapped around my esophogeus.  The hernia was found during an endoscopy procedure and the size was later confirmed with an upper GI x-ray.  
I had trouble for 8 years finally having trouble breathing. My pcp dr kept saying it was nothing just me being extremely overweight that was causing it.  To pacify me he took an xray. To say he was shocked was an understatement.  Turns out not only did i have a severe paraesophageal hernia (stomach sitting on my heart and lungs) i also has a spleen three times its normal size which ended up bursting during surgery. Go to a gastroenterologist if you think you have one.