Gastroenterology Community
White grains in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

White grains in stool

I have been suffering from more or less constant nausea throughout my day for the past week or so. I originally went to the ER for lower back pain in the right flank area and was diagnosed with nothing. The aching stopped after about a week and moved to my lower right abdomen for a day and then stopped. It felt like a pulled muscle or something. If I moved or laughed wrong it would cause discomfort. I was originally tested for a UTI but showed no evidence of bacteria, just a low amount of white blood cells in my urine. I was given Cipro for 5 days. That was about a month ago. I was also tested for STD's out of anxiety and was negative. Lately though, upon inspection of my stool, I have noticed that there are white grain looking structures in my stool. I've noticed this three times as of now. I don't check every time. Almost comparable to a grain of rice, but not quite as large. They didn't appear to be moving to my naked eye, but I don't know. Any ideas? I set up an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow. Just trying to get opinions. Thanks.
Sorry for the too much information part, but I did eat a fajita bowl for lunch today, that did contain rice in it. I don't think I would see it that fast in my stool anyway, or in that abundance. It seemed to be all throughout. I do have a dog in the house who has been having problems with worms for quite some time, but I don't know if I can get them from him? Would they cause my symptoms?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, the white specs that you see could be due to malabsorption. Worm infestation happens on eating contaminated food or water. It's a direct faeco-oral transmission. The types of worms causing infection are trematodes, cestodes, and nematodes. For proper evaluation of what you had seen, you will need to consult your primary care physician, who will do a stool analysis to determine the cause. Regards.