Gastroenterology Community
White pieces (not like mucus) in brown stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am 33 and been dealing with lower left abdominal tenderness for a couple months now and working to find the cause.  I had a clean colonoscopy 3 years ago with internal hemorrhoids being the only finding.  Had a ct scan a few weeks ago that showed mild inflammation of my colon and was treated for possible diverticulitis.  That took away the pain, but it returned a few days after finishing the antibiotics (flagyl and cipro).  I had some constipation the past few days where the stool feels soft, but seems to be blocked by the hemrhoids.  Today, same feeling, but the stool had white pieces mixed in.  Not food pieces or mucus which is usually slimy.  This was like white stool mixed in with the normal stool.  I am going in to see the GI today, but I am freaking out thinking I have pancreatic cancer or something.  Would something have shown up on the CT scan?  If its not totally white, is that less concerning.  I'm freaking out and can't find any good news on the Internet.  Please advise me on possible causes.  I have no other symptoms aside from the hemrhoids and the slight lower left abdominal tenderness...where the inflammation was shown on the ct.   Any thoughts?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Without evaluation it may be difficult to determine the exact cause of your symptoms. White stools or white pieces in stool could be due to numerous causes.Malabsorption,liver disease, chronic pancreatitis,Crohns disease, Ulcerative colitis etc.In pancreatic cancer there is clay colored stools,fatigue,weakness,jaundice,loss of appetite, pain in upper part of belly etc.You do not have any weight loss or loss of appetite so it is unlikely to be malignancy. A CT scan or MRI can help in diagnosis. The other differentials for lower left abdominal pain are diverticulitis, kidney stones, inflammatory bowel disease etc.Wait for the CT scan results. Consult a gastroenterologist and keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
CT only showed the inflammation and mild stranding outside the colon.  My bloodwork is all normal,  CRP, SED rate, and CBC, all normal.  Day 5 of cipro and flagyl AGAIN and still having the nagging tenderness in my lower left abdomen.  GI I am seeing says we can't do a colonoscopy while there is inflammation, but what the heck are we supposed to do if we don't know what the inflammation is from and we can't do the test to figure it out?!  I don't have great insurance, so a second opinion is going to be VERY costly.   I just don't know what more we can do to treat this inflammation that's causing me so many issues
CT only showed the inflammation and mild stranding outside the colon.  My bloodwork is all normal,  CRP, SED rate, and CBC, all normal.  Day 5 of cipro and flagyl AGAIN and still having the nagging tenderness in my lower left abdomen.  GI I am seeing says we can't do a colonoscopy while there is inflammation, but what the heck are we supposed to do if we don't know what the inflammation is from and we can't do the test to figure it out?!  I don't have great insurance, so a second opinion is going to be VERY costly.   I just don't know what more we can do to treat this inflammation that's causing me so many issues.  Should I suggest a steroid anti inflammatory?  
Have you used an hemorrhoid suppositories in the days before seeing the off white spots? They don't always melt and pass quickly because they do contain a form of wax and can show up on your stool days later.