Gastroenterology Community
White spots in colon x-ray

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

White spots in colon x-ray

My hips were x-rayed for arthritis 10 months apart. The change in the right hip was remarkable but the same 2 round spots above the left hip were there...same size, same place on both x-rays. My orthopedist suggested it was small calcifications in the colon. Should I be concerned?
Hi there!

Calcifications in the colon are not particularly normal, though I would not be sure of the diagnosis on the x-ray. Colon calcifications could occur in GI inflammations, granulomas, increased serum calcium etc; while the diagnosis may need to be verified and evaluated for secondary causes. I would suggest considering a review by the radiologist before consulting an internist for a detailed evaluation.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your reply. I have scheduled a yearly well-woman checkup next week and I will take along the xrays. I had a colonoscopy just 4 1/2 years ago and it was clean. But maybe I'll need to schedule another after drs look at this.