Gastroenterology Community
White tissue-like mucus in stool. Help please!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello.

I'm 22, female.

For the past... week, maybe two? Ive been having white stuff in my stool. At first I thought it was past toilet paper from someone who had not flushed, or something, because it had that kind of consistency - the way tissue dissolves in water and goes thin. I decided to check it out because it was happening too often to be a coincidence.

Most descriptions seem to be that it is mucus. But there are a lot of reasons to have mucus in your stool. I also had bright red blood in my stool about 2 months ago, which happened 3 or 4 times and then stopped and hasn't happened since. The mucus doesn't hurt, I've not had much pain lately at all... Which is odd.

I only worry, I have prety bad anxiety, and I am not looking forward to something else to worry about until I can get an appointment... Is there anyone who could offer any information about it? I worry because there is quite a lot of it comes out, never in my stool but rather just along with it. Is it dangerous to lose a lot? It's happened at least 4/5 times.

I'm also on 2,000mg/daily of Penicillin at the moment. But I think it began before that.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
You need a complete medical checkup. Increased amount of mucus in stool or with other symptoms like blood in stools or/and changes in bowel habits should be further evaluated by your doctor. While mucus in stool can occur with a variety of intestinal infections, it can also be due to more serious conditions such as Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and even cancer. If this persists, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Your doctor may further refer you to a gastroenterologist. A complete medical history, family history and additional tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you for your advice and your help. I should have said so sooner, but the condition changed when I changed my diet. Though I still think that that complete check up would be best.