Gastroenterology Community
Why does my back "buzz"? Could it be chronic pancreatitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

You know that prickly feeling you get when your foot starts "waking up" after it "falls asleep"? I get a feeling like that on my mid-back, going from my left side to slightly in the right. This happens about 2 hours after I eat. Could it be my pancreas? Here's some history:

I have been diagnosed with gallbladder dyskinesia and have a probable gastroparesis diagnosis waiting for me tomorrow (had a gastric emptying exam done last week which didn't look all that great). I believe the gastroparesis and the gallbladder disorder were caused by a viral infection november of last year. I used to drink 4-5 times per month, VERY rarely to the point of being "tipsy" and only once being "drunk" (though most of my drinks involved coffee liqueor, chocolate and rum).  This only went on for a few months, really.

In March of last year I got some sort of "attack". For a few days, my heartburn was nothing short of horrendous, I felt horrible indigestion, and I had a massive pain radiating... well, everywhere, but mostly in my right/front and right/back under the right shoulder blade. While I think it was actually a gallbladder attack (from too many horribly bad foods -- fried food, fatty coffee drinks, more coffee, fatty meats), I'm wondering about the possibility of it having been acute pancreatitis. Since then I've been feeling that buzzing/tingling feeling in the back (as described in the first paragraph) once in a while. I thought for a while it may be my stomach, but I'm wondering if it may be my pancreas. Note that I rarely feel paint in the front: most of my pain has always been felt on my back. This includes gallbladder pains, heartburn, and "stomach" pains.  

I've had an ultrasound which showed no stones, and no pancreatic inflammation. Bloodwork came back which didn't show any above-normal levels of anytihng, except border normal/high bilirubin (on the normal side of the border). However, and maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac here, but could they have missed a pancreatic issue? Could that buzzing be the result of chronic pancreatitis? Or could it be my stomach and the gastroparesis? What are the chances of pancreatitis developing in someone without gallstones, but whose ejection fraction on the HIDA/CCK was 19%?

Admittedly, I'm frightened. It seems lately that as soon as I figure something out about my health, get some direction on how to improve, something else shows up. I'm 28 and sometimes feel like I'm forty years older. Any information would be very appreciated.