Gastroenterology Community
Why does my side and stomach hurt all the time?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had a pain in my right side just under my rib cage for almost 2 years now.  I went to my doctor and they did a sonogram to see if it was my gallbladder – said my gall bladder was normal and just prescribed antibiotics and sent me home.  The antibiotics made it go away for a couple of weeks and it came back with a vengeance. So I went to the emergency room with this severe pain in my side.  They did an MRI – thinking it was my gallbladder and discovered that one of my kidneys (on the left side) when the pain was on the right was under-developed and decided that I needed to see a kidney specialist – who said that I was born with one kidney and sent me to a gynecologist who said every thing looked normal and said that I needed to go back to my family doctor.  I’m tired of being jerked around and need some help.  I’m going broke – going from the doctors to the specialists and back to the doctors.  Any ideas about what could be wrong in my right side would be greatly appreciated.
You know, you're the first person other than my sister to mention having only one kidney.

That said, has your doctor considered a HIDA/CCK?
gnorb is right you need a HIDA scan to determine whether or not your GB is functioning right. That SHOULD have been the next step after an ultra sound. I had no idea that you could determine GB function using a MRI but then I am not a doctor or nurse. I would insist on a HIDA scan. It can tell you not only if your GB is functioning but at what % it is functioning.
Hi Beth:

I'm so sorry you are suffering and being sent from Dr. to Dr.  If I were you, I'd find a Gastroenterologist.  Your family doctor can refer you.  A HIDA with CCK is fine to evaluate the gallbladder but if it is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction or something else, an Endoscopic Ultrasound or MRCP with Secretin gives a great visualization of the pancreas, liver and ductal systems.

Don't give up on yourself!  

Good luck and Godspeed,

Sam
Thanks for your help - I will see a gastroenterologist
Hi Beth:

I belong to a web group that has been a huge help for me.  To find it, search the web for Yahoo! groups.  Once you have the page where you can search the Yahoo! groups, search or "sphincter".  There are about five of them.  Only two of them are really worth joining.  Michele's is by far the best as she is a registered nurse and an uncommonly kind, empathetic and supportive woman.  Maddi's is wonderful, too.  Just put in a request to join and within a day or two, they'll let you know that you've been accepted.  Hopefully, if you join, you'll say "Hi" to me there?

Let me know how you make out at the GI?  Or even if you just need to talk or vent, feel free to email or post.  I am one of the few people who truly understand what you are going through and how it affects every aspect of your life.  That's part of the reason the SODP webgroup is so great.  

Take care of yourself.  Good luck and Godspeed.  All the best,

Sam