Why no lifting after gallbladder removal?
I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago by lap. The Dr. told me no heavy lifting for 30 days from the surgery. Why is that? What will happen if I lift about 20 lbs throughout the day?  I have a 2 year old that needs to be carried around and I can't work around that. My husband is going back to work tomorrow and there really isn't anything that I can do to avoid this.
Would lifting/carring him damage anything in a serious way? I picked him up this morning for a sec and I didn't feel any pain. So does this mean it should be ok?
I'm assuming your procedure was done laparascopically with just 3 or 4 small incisions?  Even though it doesn't look like much on the outside, a lot of work was done on your insides, and there are internal sutures you can't see.  While I think the lifting requirement is a bit strict for this surgery, your doctor knows you personally, and likely has good reason for the restriction.  You might call his office and ask for clarification - a nurse should be able to explain it to you.