Gastroenterology Community
Wondering if the gastric bypas or lapbanding is really worth it in the ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Wondering if the gastric bypas or lapbanding is really worth it in the end?

Is  having the gastric bypas or the lapband surgery for weight los really worth it?  I mean yes you do lose weight but what about the excess skin you get left with? and  what if you are a diabetic and have a low bloos sugar, can you  eat enough to  get your sugar up to where it is not uncomfortable. Can you ever have a slice of birthday cake? Or will you have the dumping syndrome forever? Is it really worth it in the end???  I have had so many surgeries I am  kindda scared. I had alot of scartissue removed when they did my ovary removal back in Januarey and I was  really sick after surgery. They laimed it was because I had so much scar tissue removed.  
I am confused as you can tell from this letter.    I am morbidly obese and I am doing weight watchers online and have lost 20 pounds so far but I know I need to lose like 200 pounds to really be healthy.  PLEASE HRLP!!!!

This discussion is related to gastric bypass.
Hi MM2005, I am post gastric bypass sx since 8/2003. Think alot about this before you do it, eating will never be the same, there are problems associated with the sx, I have ended up in the ER often with esopogeal spasms from throwing up, and getting dehydrated. I have lost 160 lbs since that time in 2003, but no without problems. Some people go through the sx with no problems, it is all a matter of your system and what you can tolerate. But I must say that I am not sorry for the surgery. I got my life back. Good luck to you.
E
Lap band all the way.  Gastric by-pass very bad.  My husband had it in 2001 and is still suffering.   Yes he is thin but no way is he healthy.  Think twice before gastric by-pass.  Good luck.
I had my lap band placed in 2009.  I would throw up on and off.  I couldn't ever figure out what i could eat, something I ate today I would throw up tomorrow.  It was extremely frustrating.   I did lose 60 pounds in 6 months with the band but i couldn't get anymore off.  I tried to exercise but could not do any type of abdominal exercises without getting charlie horses in my stomach which were extremely painful.  I then started developing acid reflux and consistently vomiting several times a week.  I had fluid removed from my band but that didn't help my symptoms got much worse.  Even after 4 -6 hours after eating i would wake up choking on food and my throat was constantly on fire.  I felt as if my body was rejecting the band all together I felt crummy all the time, I threw up almost everything and would choke on my own saliva. On occasion I would eat a meal and immediately feel like I had the flu, I would throw up and immediately feel better.  This made me feel like my body was rejecting anything that came in. The doctor finally confirmed that the band had slipped and suggested I get it completely unfilled and see what happened.  I suggested we get it removed I was done fighting and ready to be back to a normal life.  I had all the fluid removed while I was waiting for my surgery to be schedule.  During this time I continued to vomit, experience acid reflux and feel flu like symptoms. I had my band removed 2 days ago except for the minor pain from my incisions I feel great!  I made a plan prior to the removal to have a healthy diet of fresh fruits and veggies, legumes, grains and nuts and of course exercise.  I'm looking forward to a healthy lifestyle without the plastic demon from hell.