Gastroenterology Community
Yeast infection in Esophagus????

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Yeast infection in Esophagus????

Ok, I have been having problems swallowing solid foods for the past almost 4 months. It started out in June 2010 where I would just have to chew my food more than usual than about a month later I found myself being able to eat mushy foods ie: mashed potatoes, pudding, chocolate, crackers or chips after dissolved ... Then in September eating was starting to get more difficult and here I am only drinking Ensure and tomato soup, V8, or cheddar cheese soup, or broths. I have been to my doctor a lot already and she said acid reflux at first ... the medicine didn't help ... The next time she said allergies ... the medicine didn't help ... Now I have seen another doctor and he gave me some antibiotics (Let me not that I do drink a lot of beer. I would say I drink about 5-6 beers about 3 times a week.) In the middle of the course of the antibiotics I got a vaginal yeast infection and swallowing was getting to its worst.  So I went to the ER, of course they couldn't help me right then and there but he he gave the suggestions that it might me a yeast infection in my esophagus so since then (about 2 weeks ago) I haven't had any beer and stopped antibiotics. My throat isn't in as much pain as it had been at all but swallowing still difficult. Also my fiance is starting to have the same problem with swallowing and he's had the rash on his neck since about the same time I started not be able to really swallow. His doctor gave him some anti fungal cream to rub on it twice daily and it is actually starting to clear up.  Now my questions is could this be a yeast infection in our esophagus?  If so is it contactable through oral sex? PS - We both have just been tested for HIV as well and both tests were negative.  

This discussion is related to CANDIDA ESOPHAGITIS.
Hey Chrissy,

I sent you a PM, but I just wanted to let you know I was diagnosed with an esophageal Candida infection back in late 2007. My doctor found it while doing an upper endoscopy on me. She had me take an HIV test immediately after (which came back negative) so she wasn't really sure why I had it so bad. Anyway, i've documented my story (with full pictures of my endoscopy reports and HIV tests) at my blog at www.candidarx.com/blog. Feel free to check it out if you wanted too.

Good luck to you, and hope you are able to find out if you do indeed have an esophageal Candida infection.

Cheers!