Gastroenterology Community
Yellow, frothy, gritty stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Yellow, frothy, gritty stool

I have had diarrhea on and off all of my life. Fortunately I could always take immodium and control it. Until about 3 months ago.
I went to the emerg. room because of major pain and pressure right under my rib cage. They ran some tests and I was told I had acid reflux and to take Prilosec. Which I did and it helped.
Now started 3 1/2 weeks ago I started with diarrhea. Immodium is NOT working. My primary sent my stool in for a culture to see if I had parasites but it came back negative. Of course I had to practically push him to help me for some reason!
I ended up going to a gastroentonogist on a Wed. at 3pm. He had me back in that Thurs. at 7am for a colonoscopy. He thought I may have Crohns. He said my colon looked healthy and he did not see any signs of Crohns but sent out 6 biopsies and another stool sample.
Of course now it is the weekend. My stool burns so bad I am a grown man crying. It is yellow, frothy and gritty. I have had people tell me that I may have Gallbladder Disease but the doctor wants me to have 2 more tests before that one.
What should I do? Do you know what it may be? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I cannot stand this anymore.
Hi - sorry to read that you have diarrhea and feel so unwell.

It may be helpful for your gastro to do an endoscopy of the upper GI tract: oesophagus,stomach and small intestine, as Crohn's can start in that area. I was dx with Crohn's 37 yrs ago when I was 24,only symptoms were severe loss of weight down to 70 lbs, and daily diarrhea, sometimes 10-15 times daily.Later on, I got the abdominal pain and bloating.   My Crohn's started in the small intestine, and upon laparotomy (no colonoscopy in those days) 15 places of severe inflammation were found (ulcers and crypt abscesses), particularly around the terminal ileum (which is next to the appendix). A barium follow-through test may also be useful to see if there are any blockages in the small intestine. I think it is called an upper GI series in the USA.

The endoscopy will also be able to rule out coeliac disease, which can cause diarrhea and malabsorption, with frothy stools. When I get a Crohn's flare, my stools leave froth on top of the water in the toilet and a nasty residue around the water after flushing. I believe there is now a breath test for coeliac, which is non invasive, but coeliac was ruled out in my case early on.

The only other test I can think of is a calprotectin test, which is done via a stool sample. I have these regularly.  This checks for inflammation in the GI tract, but cannot pinpoint where the inflammation is, but is a good guide, if the calprotectin level is out of range, that there is a problem and further testing can be done.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful as not a doctor, just a concerned Crohn's patient.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

Liz.