Gastroenterology Community
Yellow mucous in stool... anxiety? please help?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had a major anxiety attack 4 weeks ago and have barely been able to eat/sleep.  Every since that anxiety attack, I have been having (on and off) yellow loose stools or yellow diarrhea, and I always notice yellow mucous on the toilet paper.  I have severe anxiety issues and I actually have a fear of eating. (I'm afraid of throwing up, so right now eating makes me nervous and my stomach always feels nervous right now.)

Last night I had a more normal stool.. it made me happy.. it wasn't dark, but it was closer to normal color and consistancy.  Then, this morning I had yellow diarrhea again... with mucous.  Could this be because of my anxiety?  I know that I am always very nervous when I eat and when I think about food right now.  Could that make me digest it really fast?

Do you think it could be something more serious?  It happened the same exact night I had my huge anxiety attack, and I'm hoping that is the cause, instead of something that could be really wrong.

Please reply.  I'm very ocd and anxious and it scares me a lot.  I can't go to the doctor right now because I can't leave the house yet due to my anxiety.  I know I probably should, but for now, will I be okay?  Is it a major anxiety issue?

I am now on Prozac and it is starting to calm me down, but I still have huge nervous breakdowns when I have to eat... I've lost weight and am only eating bananas, toast, peanut butter, cheerios, saltines, and for the past 3 days, hamburger meat (that hurt my stomach but gave me more energy.)

Thank you for your help.

prior to 3 weeks ago, i didn't think I suffered from anxiety.  I was having some health issues but, nothing like i have recently gone through.

have had the same symptoms, have changed my diet around, solid stool, loose diarreha, yellow in color for the past two weeks.

doctor gave me xanax, because I was sleeping, and he though they would help with panic attacks.  now i think I am addicted to xanax, finally got a good nights sleep after taken some the other night.  i too am paranoid about certain things.

let me ask you do you have any stomach pain?  i have had some in the lower left area, have felt weakness, and such.

i sympotize with you, i know what your going thru.  Let me say this i have spent a lot of money recently on drs, have been to the er, a couple of times, have not got the results of my stool samples back as they take 48 hours to culture.  But let me say this, when and if you can, leave the house go to the er, make someone listen to you.

It doesn't matter if you have insurance, or not.  it doesn't matter if you have money or not.  get checked out one way or another.  if a dr has given you the prescription for prozac, call and ask his nurse or him.

peace of mind is worth it.  I am still waiting to find out, but i do know what your going thru, you can email me if you want and i will try to respond to you ***@****

you are in my thoughts, god bless. andreax
I am having exactly the same problem. I have never suffered anxiety or panic attacks before but 6 weeks ago I had a full blown panic attack at work and suffered really bad diarrhea. I slept all day and seemed fine because I didn't know it was a panic attack. A few days later it happened again and this time the diarrhea lasted for several weeks. I couldn't leave home incase I had another panic attack and was constantly having hot sweats and really bad anxiety. I ended up going to the doctors about 6 times in 2 weeks all of then saying it was sonething other than anxiety and panic attacks. I eventually found a doctor after suffering for 4 weeks who diagnosed me and put me on 10 mg citalopram. For the first 3 days I couldn't move from my bed due to all te side effects but after that I started to feel a bit more normal and the diarrhea completly stopped. I have been taking the meds for 3 weeks now and had my check up with the doctor last Thursday. On my way there I had a massive adrenaline surge and hot flushes and completly freaked out. I managed to calm myself down to get my meds but came gone and slept for a whole 24 hours. Since then I annoy annoy seen to pick myself up and the panic attacks and diarrhea have come back worse than before. I don't know what to do. Im struggling to eat because I am so in edge yet I'm hungry all the time and the diarrhea is really getting me down. I feel like I am back to square one and will never be normal again. I am too scared to leave my bedroom and have became me completly agrophobic :'(