Gastroenterology Community
a diagnosis for right side pain after gallbladder removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my gallbladder removed january  7th 2005.  since them i have had excruciating pain and swelling on my right side.  I found that prednisone reduced the edema.  after going to every branch of medicine i finally have a diagnosis of Anterior Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment syndrome....here is an article about how it goes undiagnosed...http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2002.05662.x/abs/

my question is about the edema..i have up to 40 or 50lbs of swelling to the right of my navel...will this go away after the cortizone intjections are done in the nerve...I am waiting for an appt at Georgetown university Hospital pain clinic which will be the end of october.

thank you
Lori
Wow: I have also had my GB out but started having problems about 18 months later, always feeling bloated, and now the pain is also in the very middle as well, I have had many many test, I also see this bulge on my rright side but the drs. never comment? I will be visiting the site you posted. Did they call the fluid edema??  Are you seeing a specialist?  I'am 44 female and have been dealing with URQ pain for 7 yrs prior to GB surgery and now different pain for about 18 months.
Please tell me what tests they ran on you.
I have had ct scan which showed dilated ducts and ercp, mrcp and EUS but I feel they should do one more since several months have past to see if there is a change.
Sphincter of oddi dysfunction was mentioned along with pancreatitis??  I was never a drinker but about 30% aren't drinkers. I hope more people will comment.
Hope to hear from you Lori.......Sincerely, Georgie
i have had "attacks" of abdominal pains and swelling ever since I had my gallbladder out (also about 2005). i have still not been diagnosed. i suspect pancreatitis as well.  im obviously not a doctor, but they havent been much help and have done my own research. i actually diagnosed my own gallbladder issues in the first place, 3 emergency drs said i had acid reflux! anyway, since then my dr said the same thing, acid reflux, which is wrong. i switched drs, and have seen a few hematologists, because apparently my blood (platelets, red, AND white) are all high. dr told me i either had leukemia or another deadly bone marrow disease (shame on him!). biopsies negative, new hematologist has no answers. I am now going to go see a gastro on my own, and keep researching (thank god for google), but the closest my symptoms come to are a form of pancreatitis, and it CAN result from gallbladder surgery. I hope this helps, and if anyone else has had similar issues i would love to hear responses.
Doctors say don't self-diagnose, but you MUST look into your health symptoms yourself or you may never get an answer!
I had my gallbladder out 11 years ago.  I don't think I have felt REALLY good since then.  I have had CT's, MRI's, Blood work for celiac, Pancreatitis, and liver function and all is normal.  I have a pain in my middle back that shoots through to my front between my breast bone when I try to lie down.  They have me on several different meds for stomach, intestines, and reflux and the pain is no better.  Sometimes it is bad during the day but it is really bad at night.  You would think I had gallstones but no gallbladder.  Keep up posted on what you find out!
I also had my gallblatter removed by the non-evasion lyroscoptic surgery in June 2007 and still have right side pain and haven't felt good since. I've had numerous CTs and MRIs and they have shown only that I  have a small cyst on my liver but that shouldn't cause any pain or problems because it has been there for over 6 years and hasn't changed.. I need help and all the Doctors do is give me pain medication which really doesn't help at all. I have found out that the more lifting I do, the worse the pain. I've exausted all options with Doctors. I've got no other symptons but have had a small weight loss. I'm 64 years old and healthy other wise and would like to get on with my life.