Gastroenterology Community
abdo pain upper right side during menstration

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have chronic abdo pain(upper right side) and it starts at the start of my period and runs till my period is finished.  It is debilitating and sitting or lying down doesn't help.  Specialists and Dr's have no idea.  I have had multiple tests, scans, etc...they all come back clear.  Does anyone else have similar pain and any answers I'm despirate for answers and out of money to pay for any more...help please!

This discussion is related to Upper right abdominal pain occurs during my period.
I went to see this Indian doctor at my school, and she told me that some women experience inflammation on their rib cartilage before and during the period, and the cause is not known. She recommended to take some anti-inflammatory medicine, such as Advil. I asked my sister who is a nurse, but she said she'd never heard of it.  
Thanks for answering I will look into that.  My sister is a nurse too, so I will see what she has to say.  Sorry it took me so long to answer but I have just been trying to put up with the pain and say that maybe it is nothing to worry about but I must say when the pain gets sooooo bad I think Cancer and that I should be doing something but I don't cause all the results come back negative and then I feel like I am making it up, but I know I'm not.
Sometimes I think my doc thinks I'm crazy too.  It's real pain and it is difficult to manage.  I'm 40 and remember having this abdominal pain as far back as high school right before my period.  I call it "bra pain" because it's at the top of my stomach near my ribs and only I get relief if I undo my bra!  Having no pressure on ribs/stomach is only relief.  It feels like severe gas pain.  I help control it by not letting myself get too hungry, but it's not always that easy, and if I wait too long to eat then it hurts worse when I do eat.  I've left work and gone to sit in my car w/ my bra undone just to get some relief!  Takes my breath away.  Upper GI test found nothing.  My gyn has done ultrasounds, found nothing.  I've had uterine ablasion but bleeding and symptoms came back over course of a year.  I've come to think that it is just my uterus swelling and irritating everything else.  Having a hysterectomy (laproscipic, uterus only) in August but I fear that won't relieve monthly symptoms, only the bleeding...which is still good!  This is the worst month ever w/ this pain...I think my uterus knows I'm getting rid of it!
OMGosh! I have been suffering for years (my husband reminding me how long it has actually been because I just try to get through the pain every month). It feels like it has been getting worse so I am just now seeking out medical attention for it. So much of what you are saying is how I feel every month! I am 40 and thought it might be the start of my body preparing for menopause and thought I was going to just live with it but over the last year or longer it has been getting worse and I really can't take it anymore. I have also thought it might be my gall bladder or an ulcer. It has had me down and out several times this year. To add to the symptoms I have also vomited at times, the pain radiates into my back, I can't stand up straight or stretch, I feel constipated or gassy (and if I do have a BM it doesn't relieve it although it feels like it is going to). I have self medicated with pain reliever like Advil and it didn't even touch the pain so I would take more and more which then was irritating my stomach even more. I was really hoping someone may have gotten a more definitive diagnosis. It is so odd to have such major pain and symptoms and have no answers. I am eager to hear if the surgery helps, please update when you can.
I too have had these same symptoms. I'm 46 but have only been having URQ pain during menstration for about 3 years now.  I've had my gallbladder removed, so that's not the issue.  I've wondered at times if endo "tissue" can be in the large intestine because that's where it feels like it is.  I only get this pain when menstrating.  Has anyone gotten answers on this?
I have had the same pain for several years. Had ct scan, ultrasound, mri, hida scan and x rays. All came back negative. GI doctor thinks it is IBS and said symptoms can appear during your period because of hormone fluctuations. I only have pain, no diarrhea or constipation. I take Motrin at the very start of the pain. If you wait till the pain is severe it is not as effective. One of the ER doctors told me that any abdominal pain can radiate to the right upper part of the body.
If anyone has questions that they would like answered, please post your question as its own post because this one is so old.