Gastroenterology Community
abdominal spasms

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

abdominal spasms

I am a 67 Year old male. I am a diabetic.  I have been on insulin for about 12 years and oral meds for 5 years before that, and I also have severe arthritis in my hands.  Otherwise have been in reasonably good health, no peripheral nerve damage.

About 10-12 years ago, I started having spasms that start in my abdominal area that build for a couple of seconds and then release with a jerk thru my lower extremeties.  In the beginning, it happened infrequently and developed into an every night occurance which keeps me from sleeping.  The spasms happen approx twice a minute and they can last for a few minutes or as much as a several hours.  The spasms are very uncomfortable and keep me from being able to fall asleep. They usually occur between 4 to 6 hours after my evening meal and start when I lay down and/or sit down.  Standing up and walking around helps diminish the discomfort.  They also will happen when I lay down during the day if I try to take a nap to make up for sleep lost during the night as a result of the spasms.  When the spasming stops, I am back to normal.  I have a normal appetite, and I do not suffer from acid reflux.  

Numerous doctors have been unable to positively diagnose it.  They feel it might be neuropathy of the stomach muscles (gastroparesis) and the discomfort occurs when the food is being processed from my stomach into my small intestine.  However the tests don't validate that conclusion.   I have tried all kinds of meds with no relief.  In the end, they referred me to a pain specialist.  Ultimately they prescribed methadone, which did offer some relief, but the side affects were unbearable so I had to discontinue taking it.   I am currently on a Tramadol/Nortriptylin/Tizanidine regime to try to help with the spasms but it has not been effective.  

Has anybody else anybody had any symptoms like these and can they offer advice on treatment or medication might be beneficial??