Gastroenterology Community
abscess caused by colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

abscess caused by colonoscopy

on a Wed. i had my first colonoscopy. they diagnosed diverticulitis (previous to test i had some symptoms, but test was a regularly scheduled cancer screening). no treatment was proscibed. within three days i was in the hospital for a week, CT scan showed a colon abscess, i dodged emergency surgery and responded to IV antibiotics. now i'm two months out of the hospital and a GI and surgical followup recommends bowel resection. i've read that the bowel does not repair itself. what should i do? also could the abscess have actually been caused by the colonoscopy. thanks.
Funny that because 2 weeks ago I had a colonoscopy....

I was rushed into emergency the IV  antibiotics didnt work so i had to have suregery. had to have a massive perianal abscess drained.  The abcess (abscess) blew up  in 5 days! Unbelievable....  I now have a seton in for 4 weeks or longer depending on how things go.

I asked the Dr and of course she said nooooo way not caused by colonoscopy. I also read on another blog ...another lady had a colonoscopy and a week later she has a seton in for 2 months! she also had to have emergency surgery.

My colonoscopy just proved IBS and allergies from tisseu samples. There was NO abscess there at the time of my clonoscopy at all.
I had a colonoscopy 3 months ago, and now I have a huge abscess in my right Bartholin gland, and they are trying to figure out if it is CA or not. Also, there is lots of old blood in it. I have had no sex in the last three months or any other activity in that area other than the colonoscopy, and my OB/GYN says that it couldn't be from the trauma of the colonoscopy. They are testing for CA and I will have results today. I don't believe her. Has anyone else had a colonoscopy and an abscess in GYN area?
There has to be a connection between colonoscopy and perirectal abscesses. I am a 56 YO male and had my first colonoscopy. Two weeks later I had a huge painful perirectal abscess that almost killed me from the infection. Immediate surgery in a distant location while on vacation relieved it. A week later when I went to see my surgeon he did a fistula surgery, without telling me what he was doing and said he sees this all the time!. I wonder how many of these happen all the time right after a colonoscopy? These doctores are full of S@#&! no pun intended. They cause the condition, then they get to treat it. This has been the worst experience of my life and I will never see a colon specialist or have another colonoscopy again. Someone in the medical profession should investigate these A-holes.
My husband and I had our first colonoscopy done about three weeks ago.
Not long after the procedure my husband noticed a very itchy  spot near his anus.
Few days later the spot became visible as a lump. The lamp was growing by the hour, and at the and of the third week it was a huge scary looking abscess. Husband had an emergency surgery and is on a home recovery at the moment.
The gastroenterologist who performed the colonoscopy said that it was the co-incident and there is no link between these two events.
But after reading the information from the different people on the internet, I have a strong feeling that there is a connection in between ,it is just very rear and not studied well enough.
I am going to right a report to the state health committee; they should consider these cases, does not matter how rare it happenes.