Gastroenterology Community
acute diarreah(diarrhea)

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

acute diarreah(diarrhea)

I have had acute diarreah (diarrhea) for 5 days now and am getting worried. I initially thought I had some kind of stomach flu but not so sure now.  It is a yellow green clear color and and has been occurring around 20 times a day. I think it might be some kind of food poisoning and I did eat at a Chinese buffet a couple of days before it started. I also have abdominal cramping before I have to go. There isn't a lot of volume but it does feel urgent every time. I do have a cramping feeling in my lower left side. My appetite is returning a little but I have lost 12 pounds and am still not eating much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a 52 yo male and thought it was better this morning but has been back to where it was earlier. I don't even think I could make it to the doctor without going in my pants, sometimes it happens just minutes apart. Please help and thanks.
Tags: diarreah, acute, worried, abdominal, Stomach
Did you get your colonoscopy at 50 like we're supposed to?  If not, now is the time!  Make an appt. with a Gastroenterologist and see your GP ASAP.  Food poisoning doesn't last this long but you may have picked up a parasite.  There are various things that can cause this so you want to seek medical help right away. Also, keep yourself well hydrated until you see your doctor.  Drink lots of water, orange juice and low sugar Gatorade to replenish your electrolytes and potassium.  Eat a banana every day. I hope this helps and wish you all the best. Take some wipes and a change of clothing when you go to the doctor just in case.