Gastroenterology Community
after effects of colonoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

after effects of colonoscopy

I had a colonoscopy two days ago.  Unfortunately, I became dehydrated during the prep for the test and started passing out in the middle of the night before the test.  I was dehydrated when they went to put in the IV for the anesthesia.  Since the test, I continue to feel light headed and dizzy.  I am drinking fluids, and have had my first normal bowel movement today.  Could the dizziness and light-headedness still be related to the test somehow?
No, the test should not have had this affect on you, nor should the prep.  Was you GI aware of how severly de-hydrated you were? This actually warranted going to the ER to get re-hydrated.  Are you drinking things like Gatorade and orange juice?  This will get you hydrated the quickest since they contain the potassium and electro-lytes you need, just water won't do this.  But I feel you need to contact your doctor regarding your symptoms, as it may not be dehydration.
That's such a completely draining preparation, it's no wonder your still feeling under the weather. Why don't you try one of those sport drinks to bring your electrolytes to normal you must be deleted.